11 replies to this topic

#1 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

I have some metal stools that I'm thinking about painting red. Is it possible to spray paint them?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Feb 19 2010, 11:25 AM) View Post
I have some metal stools that I'm thinking about painting red. Is it possible to spray paint them?

yes, the cans of spray paint will say on the label whether they are appropriate for application on metal.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,183 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

Yes.

Metal often looks better if it's been lightly buffed with sandpaper to rough up the surface, remove any rust or corrosion, etc prior to painting.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

From my (very limited) experience, spray paint is *better* for metal than brushed paint. I can imagine this is doubly so for something with nooks and crannies like a chair.

If the chairs are rusty, make sure to look at rust paint as well (after the usual scrub with a wire brush, etc).
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#5 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thank you!!

I've been drooling over these Marais stools for the past year. I finally decided to spring for them ($300 each!) when I found these on overstock - frickin' $100 for two. I'm a sucker for red and I figure at that price I can experiment with the color.

#6 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Feb 19 2010, 11:39 AM) View Post
Thank you!!

I've been drooling over these Marais stools for the past year. I finally decided to spring for them ($300 each!) when I found these on overstock - frickin' $100 for two. I'm a sucker for red and I figure at that price I can experiment with the color.

Good going! They look identical.
BlondieNY.com

#7 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

Krylon is what you want to use. Google it and go to their website to find out which paint is best for these stools.

#8 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:59 PM

Those stools seem to be powder coated. You will definitely need to scuff the surface with XXX grit or something if the powder coating was at all well done. What XXX is you might want to ask the paint guys. Dunno if you need something strong like 220 or finer like 400 to sand down a powder coating. And then find the best Krylon for your application.

Also, for the $4 or whatever it costs, those spray can trigger handles are worth every single penny! (Worth it at $10. Your fingers and hands will thank you!)
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#9 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

Very good advice all, thank you!

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

Nice find, Abby. I just ordered 2 pair for the kitchen. smile.gif

#11 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(TheMatt @ Feb 19 2010, 08:59 AM) View Post
Dunno if you need something strong like 220 or finer like 400 to sand down a powder coating. And then find the best Krylon for your application.

To get a good "tooth" to the metal, I would definitely go 220. I frequently color metal (well, sterling) and have used sand-plasters to get a good scuff to the metal to get the color to cling. I imagine the chairs have been coated with something anyway and I would start with a hearty steel wool before the sandpaper (and use the black stuff, not the yellow-colored which is for wood).

#12 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

On something powder coated already? Most likely commercial urethane or enamel.

Use a scotch brite pad of comparable grit (400 grit and at most hardware stores - looks like a scouring pad) as this can get into the nooks and folds of the metal. Use a self etching primer before paint (zinc based) and then a recommended paint. Gritty paper may take away the clean finish and leave you scratches.

I'd try an inconspicuous area first - like the bottom of the seat.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton