4 replies to this topic

#1 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

I'm thinking about starting my garden from seeds this year and would love allz y'alls advice. (Hopefully it isn't too late to start in March.)
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

March is not too late if you are planting in May or June as we do in the PNW. My only advice is to try it. I used to start tomatoes from seed on a south facing kitchen counter (in flats with a plastic lid.) I'd harden them off a bit in a protected outside location when they were only wee things and plant them all (all 2"-3" of them) thinking few would survive. I mostly recall the one year I ended up with 35 tomato and 12 tomatillo plants - all matured and produced an abundance! Nothing scientific in my approach.

Some things transplant better than others. Some are better direct seeded. It's worth paying attention and maybe getting some reading material based on where you live. We have "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" as great example.

Happy gardening.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,597 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

Plants from seed can be a delightful adventure.

I do a few plants, usually broccoli, spinach, lettuce, cilantro, and beans from seed. Here's a good overview from Renee's Garden. Renee was the founder of Shepherd Seeds, which she subsequently sold. The Garden offers a great selection of vegetable seeds

Seed Starting

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

I did this last year for the first time using helpful advice from Rail Paul and GG. Went to Lowe's and bought a set of peat pots and a heat lamp. Planted the seeds in late March and more in early April, stuck everything on our SW-facing windowsill, put the light on a timer for evenings, kept everything moist, and by May we had what we needed to put in the ground.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#5 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

I recommend a grow-light of some sort, even if you get strong sun in a windowsill. Sun through a window just isn't enough (in my experience) and your seedlings will get 'leggy' their stems unnaturally elongated in their quest for sun. It makes for less than robust seedlings. Give them plenty of light if you can, set a timer to follow the approximate day length, so the light comes on shortly after sunrise and goes off shortly before sunset. Adjust the timer as the days lengthen; no need to be anal about I adjust mine maybe twice during the 2-month indoor period. It also helps to keep them warm. If the temp is averaging below 65F, growth will be much slower (I learned this last year, when I opted not to wrap my shelves in plastic to keep the heat in).