53 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,456 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Okay, we're not there yet, but sitting in Washington Square Park in the sunshine this afternoon was very cheering.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,583 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Mar 6 2010, 05:14 PM) View Post
Okay, we're not there yet, but sitting in Washington Square Park in the sunshine this afternoon was very cheering.

What an absolutely wonderful Saturday.

Temperatures near 60, the remaining snow melting quickly, brilliant, cloudless sky, light breeze.

I sat outside reading my papers this afternoon, first time I've done that in several months.

Tomorrow should be more of the same.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

what a terrible weather - gusty winds with rain sad.gif

"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#4 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Mar 13 2010, 04:43 PM) View Post
what a terrible weather - gusty winds with rain sad.gif

Nicely captured.

The wind seems to have kicked up by 10-20 mph just now, the gusts are pretty scary.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

an absolutely perfect day in South Beach today.

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,118 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:40 PM

i think my windows may get blown in by the storm

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,583 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

Ferocious winds, sheeting rain, creaking trees, several power blips / momentary interruptions in the electric grid.

I put in my online order to Renee's seeds, and thought about starting my first seed bed of the year with some 2009 lettuce and spinach seeds in a wooden wine box.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#8 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

Water pressure is down in this area, probably a power failure at a pumping station or something.

Lots of suspensions of NJ Transit train service all over the state, putting a cramp into my plans to go into NYC tonight.

The wind continues to howl.

This is a lousy day. angry.gif
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,456 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:32 AM

Spent part of my evening in a human chain, rescuing booze from the flooding cellar of an East Village bar. All the bars down the block (yes, there were several) were having the same problem. I did my bit, and was sufficiently rewarded. :hic:

#10 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:56 AM

Snowing again here. smile.gif
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#11 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Mar 14 2010, 01:32 AM) View Post
Spent part of my evening in a human chain, rescuing booze from the flooding cellar of an East Village bar. All the bars down the block (yes, there were several) were having the same problem. I did my bit, and was sufficiently rewarded. :hic:

God bless you; it's the sort of selfless humanitarianism that made America great.
Andrew Fenton

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ Mar 13 2010, 07:23 PM) View Post

Oh, shut up.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#13 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

After a long and cold winter (particularly when compared to recent winters) we got to 64 degF yesterday with bright sunshine in Minneapolis. Fired up the grill and ate dinner outside last night. It felt great.

The road/sidewalk grit season is off to a good start.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#14 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Mar 14 2010, 10:15 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ Mar 13 2010, 07:23 PM) View Post

Oh, shut up.

What a difference a week makes. an absolutely perfect day in Lower Manhattan today. laugh.gif

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#15 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,884 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

I pulled out my summer sneakers and sandals and put away the boots, not prematurely, I hope.