132 replies to this topic

#61 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,243 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'm afraid the Brindle Room has had its tweets hacked. Generating phishing emails and diet ads today. :(

#62 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

It seems to be happening more and more. Adam Platt was hacked earlier this week, and so was Elizabeth Harcourt (former Corton sommelier).
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#63 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'm pleased to announced that The Brindle Room/Wonder City Coffee & Donuts potato based doughnuts have been recognized by the Idaho Potato Commission and received the honor of "December" in the Commission's 2012 Potato Chef's Calendar. Congratulations to Jeremy Specto! Calendars are available -- gratis -- at the restaurant.

And she was.

#64 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

Going this Saturday with older friends after Makropoulos Case at the Met. (Yes, it's rather a hike, but in between I have to be at something on St. Marks Place.) Will report back after.

ETA: didn't go there after all, as the event that would have taken me to the EV was changed from Saturday to Friday. So I will still have to wait to try the fried chicken. :(

(Instead we ate in Chelsea, near where our friends are staying. Gascogne. One of those "that's still around?!?!?" places.)

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#65 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,108 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I had dinner here a couple of nights ago and if the grouper with bacon is on the menu, get it. Fantastic, perfectly seasoned and beautifully cooked. A real winter dish, satisfying and comforting.

I still think the space is fugly.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#66 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,243 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I use the Brindle Room often enough, and it's always enjoyable. Good, solid place.

#67 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Kate Krader likes the burger.  

And she was.

#68 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,486 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Actually, it turns out to be none other than Josh Ozersky who's doing the liking.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#69 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Ah, yes.  Good catch.

And she was.

#70 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,486 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

It caught my attention when the writer referred to his or her "burger wife" at the end. I thought, "oh, is Kate Krader out and I didn't know about it?" So I looked harder, and say the actual author was Josh.

(I don't mean to imply Kate's closeted. I just meant that I never knew what her sexuality is one way or the other.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#71 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Really do expect to go tonight. Will try not to ask for the burger.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

#72 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,243 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

The burger is good.

#73 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

So you all say, but if the other food is, too, I'd prefer to try something else. It's possible that if we like it, we may eat there with some regularity, so I'll wait until I really crave a burger. (I can get a good bar burger in my new nabe, remember.)

#74 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

At the moment, I recommend the lentils, potato gratin, grouper, venison, porcini bread pudding.  some people said that the beet salad was better than a usual beet salad, but who needs another beet salad.  Tell Jeremy I say hello.

And she was.

#75 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:29 AM

We both thought the apps were more successful than the mains. The beer-battered pork belly was something I wish I could eat frequently--a fine balance of meat, fat, and breading, perfectly fried, and with a spritz of lemon and bit of mustard or hot sauce (great hot sauce!), it was wonderful. There was a special app tonight of clams with chorizo and diver scallops, that also had a lot of lightly cooked kale underneath and came with four pieces of toast. Delicious, really enough for a main for one--and at $21, priced as a main. Still, we didn't regret getting it. The grouper and the salmon (ordered with the porcini bread pudding and braised fennel) were both very tasty, but both fish were way overcooked. Still, since we haven't been able to buy fish in about a month, they were satisfying enough. I had a glass of petite sirah, Paul had tempranillo; I liked mine better than he liked his. The two little donuts were good, if a bit heavy so it was good they're little, and I loved the caramel sauce with them.

There were moments I wished there were salt and pepper on the table, well salt anyway, they have a liberal hand with the pepper in cooking. But the lemon made up for the slight lack. And that hot sauce, mmmmm.

Burger was being offered as a special, and many people ordered it. Before being told it was available, one guy was regaling his tablemates with a report of the "secret" burger. They all ordered it. Did look good, but fish called to us more. The burger probably would have been cooked properly, though.

I could see going back. Didn't get to meet Jeremy, sorry. Is he the skinny little kid with dark hair, working the window?