139 replies to this topic

#16 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Depending on where you are coming from, it could be no harder to reach Fatty 'Cue than any Manhattan restaurant, so if you've been to the Fatty chain before and liked it, you should probably go.

NY Journal most likely going tonight.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#17 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

Probably sometime soon -- I chalk up my inaction less to Chowhound-type-attitude than sheer laziness (as in "it's across the water, do I really want to make the effort?" yes I know it's whiny. so sorry.)

The noodles with meat juices is, come to think of it, rather Italian in concept (except executed through a southeast Asian prism).

#18 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(oakapple @ May 14 2010, 03:34 PM) View Post
NY Journal most likely going tonight.

One of these days the NY Journal will cover a Staten Island eatery, so it can say it has all five boroughs covered.

#19 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

It takes me just as long to get there from Fort Greene as a lot of places in Manhattan would. The question of whether it's worth it to me has more to do with price than location.

#20 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Same for AaronS's neighbor to the south.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#21 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(TaliesinNYC @ May 14 2010, 04:06 PM) View Post
The noodles with meat juices is, come to think of it, rather Italian in concept (except executed through a southeast Asian prism).

The Chinese were eating wheat-based pasta long before the Italians were.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#22 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,612 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

Prices are very reasonable, although it is a place where you might not be sure how many dishes to order.

#23 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 14 2010, 08:46 PM) View Post

The Chinese were eating wheat-based pasta long before the Italians were.

Maybe, but I wasn't arguing from a food history standpoint.

#24 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

My friend, who lives right around the corner from Fatty 'Cue, and who I have accompanied there for drinks a couple of times, has been absolutely dying to have dinner there. Last night we walked in a few minutes before 7, and while the bar was pure hell (packed full of screaming, jostling, sweaty scensters) the back downstairs dining room we were quickly ushered into was cool and fairly comfortable and also kind of pretty. It's a very rough aesthetic, but the skylight and the silly pig light fixture and the swath of 'old' wallpaper somehow all come together.

Sadly the best thing about the meal was the service. A shout out to Russ, who seemed to have some managerial capacity as well as acting as our waiter. Whatever his role, the guy is a total pro and made the mostly disappointing food much easier to swallow. The front of house fellow we engaged with also could not have been nicer or friendlier. Reports from those close to me have indicated that the bar staff can be a bit difficult at times, however.

And while on the subject of the bar, drink prices border on the absurd. The menu lists cocktails at $8 or $10 which on the face of it seems highly reasonable but the menu does not of course disclose the bordering on doll-house-sized glasses employed. My riff on a bloody mary, made with sangrita rather than tomato juice (which the bar did not have) was delicious. But the smallish glass was packed with large ice cubes, which kept bumping into my face as I was sipping. My cocktail was a monster compared to my companion's though, a very good watermelon and tequila concoction presented in what was the mini-est of margarita glasses. The drinks also took absolutely forever to come, which may be why the admirable Russ brought us a cucumber salad on the house and gave us cards for free drinks at the end of the meal, saying 'it's always nice to see people from the neighborhood in here'. And, I was observing closely and not all tables received this treatment. It was a graceful way to handle the fact that we were well into our meal before the cocktails made an appearance.

'But what about the food?' you may be beginning to wonder. When one of the two best things you have is a green salad, in a place this meat-centric, it puzzles a bit. Very good salad, extremely fresh greens with a light faintly citrus dressing and threads of fried ginger and chili atop. But very simple. The smoked pork loin, shaved in paper-thin rounds, is silky and luscious with a velvety texture of which my friend said, 'It's like good hamachi. The sushi of meat.' A very creamy herbed ailoli is served alongside. It also came, as all meat dishes did, with a small and pretty brilliant side salad.These side salads sometimes outshown the dishes they were accompanying and offer a frustrating hint at how very good this kitchen can be at times. The least successful salad, the comped cucumber with sesame, was acceptable if not terribly exciting. it was a good foil for the 'salted chiles' we ordered which we piled on the brisket. Of which brisket I would say oh dear. Not terribly flavorful, texture OK if a bit chewy at times (like 'salt water taffy' my companion opined) on some of the leaner pieces. But just not memorable at all. And the buns served with it are a travesty: sticky, gummy and dense. We pushed them aside and ate the brisket smeared with the chili paste and aioli it is served with and stacked with the cilantro and sweet pickled red onions on the plate, the whole topped with a salted chile. Worked for us. We also ordered the coriander bacon, which while tasty was nothing remarkable (and I thought a little fatty). What was remarked on was the wobbly, almost curd-like and rather disgusting texture of the 'curry custard' served as a condiment. Ugh.

Food comes out quickly-- even with me, the slowest of eaters, at table our check shows an opening and closing time 63 minutes apart. $80 before tip, and we left a large one because the service was so good--along with the great waiter, the rest of the staff quickly brought extra utensils requested, extra ailoli we wanted, cleared empty plates and steadily replenished water glasses. The prices are on the high side as others have complained but I don't think the overall cost of the meal was. True the servings tend to the modest; the loin was $11, brisket $18, bacon $ 11. But this is such rich, meaty food that it's very filling. I only wish much of it tasted better.

We discussed that we would go back, free drink tickets in hand, and order the pork loin again. That was the one memorable, really enjoyable dish.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#25 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,998 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

Probably sometime soon -- I chalk up my inaction less to Chowhound-type-attitude than sheer laziness (as in "it's across the water, do I really want to make the effort?"

You've been hanging out with the Johnsons?

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#26 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

I was there last night, and I agree with Daisy's review in most respects. I was seated on the third floor, which is the quietest and most comfortable place to be. Of course, all is relative.

Those small cocktail glasses are similar to the ones I've seen in other Serious Cocktail Bars (Sneakeater's term). I had three of 'em, and they did indeed take quite a while to come out.

The best dish I had was the Red Curry Rubbed Duck, which was a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10. The brisket wasn't a patch on what they serve at Hill Country. For some reason there are no knives at this restaurant, and it was hopeless to cut it with a fork. I agree that the bacon, while just fine, was nothing special. The cucumber salad served its purpose, as a foil to the meats.

I had no issue with the pacing of the meal, especially given the mantra of all the "Fatty" restaurants, namely to serve the plates "as and when they're ready." Perhaps I just got lucky, but the items I ordered came out at reasonable intervals. Here again, all things are relative: I don't think anyone expects a long, leisurely meal at at barbecue joint.

My dinner was about 90 bucks, including tax and tip, which is awfully expensive for barbecue.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#27 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ May 15 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
Probably sometime soon -- I chalk up my inaction less to Chowhound-type-attitude than sheer laziness (as in "it's across the water, do I really want to make the effort?"

You've been hanging out with the Johnsons?

I've always been like that, even back in the 1990s when I was living in the EV in the bad old days.

Then again, living in Queens changes your perspective (in the other direction).

#28 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,612 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

"Incredibly good...like, not rilly."

#29 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

A few things spring to mind now I've seen oakapple's writeup.

They do have knives, but you have to ask for them. ninja.gif

I am well-acquainted with the Serious Cocktail thing. Our drinks were small even by that standard.

And as Wilfrid I believe said intially in this thread, this is not a barbecue restaurant.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#30 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ May 15 2010, 02:58 PM) View Post
"Incredibly good...like, not rilly."

The pork loin was very good indeed. As were all the condiments, side salads and sauces with the exception of that wretched curry goo (and that was more of a textural issue than a flavor one). But the only things remarkable in any way were the friendliness of FOH and the excellence of the service.