4 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

I suspect isn't one "best" neighborhood to stay in, but what areas are both pleasant and convenient for a first-time visitor to the city? Specific hotel recommendations are also welcome.

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,007 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

I stayed in the Duques de Bergara, which is well-located right at the top of the Ramblas, which is in a lively area surrounded by much if not all of what you would want to see, and from which you can walk 'uptown' and see a lot of interesting architecture which I know is your thing. This hotel was reasonably priced and comfortable even if the room was the smallest one I have ever stayed in.

Blondie stayed in a hotel a little 'uptown' from the Ramblas which she recommended for a friend of mine who loved it, perhaps she will chime in with the name.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,398 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

we have a big barcelona thread with lots of reccs including a discussion of nabes. I would stay in Eixample - nearly all of the architecture you'll want to see is there + the vast majority of the good restaurants. Its also a lot quieter than older part of town but is adjacent to it and short walk back. After out last trip staying in the Raval we def decided the next time we'll stay in Eixample.

ETA: Eixample is the nabe uptown from the ramblas
Why not mayo?

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

Thanks, Daisy and Anthony -- that is exactly what I was looking for. I will, of course print out the relevant portions of the main thread on Barcelona, including Wilf's guide up front. I still don't know when we are going, but I do know it's our next significant trip.

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

We will be staying in Eixample, here.