38 replies to this topic

#31 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:35 PM

Right. And if my grandmother had balls...
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#32 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

Well, if you want to be a stickler...

#33 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:20 PM

Never mind BM, I miss the Union Square 'wichcraft. :(
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#34 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

Tolouse sausages from the Ginger Pig.

Just had these for dinner. OH.MY. I thought I'd found my fave Tolouse elsewhere, but I was wrong... I'd not been that impressed with Ginger Pig sausages before, again soooooo wrong. Incredibly rich meat and dense textured, just the right amount of fat, gorgeous garlic. Also simply enormous :(
He has taken up residence in the 'Grand Hotel Abyss' - a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered.

Lukacs on Adorno, but....

#35 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

Rather good today, especially the Furness Fish people.

From them I got mackeral, a lovely fresh red mullet and some monkfish liver - the first time I've seen it there, or indeed eaten it. Only 9 pounds/kilo - run if you can... Just had both this mullet and the liver for lunch with a friend. Treated the liver entirely like foie gras, but with a balsamic/soy reduction and some steamed samphire. Delicious, light fluffy and slightly eggy texture, not obviously fishy at all besides a slight seawater-ish tinge. Really a very passable foie substitute without quite the indulgence and what, a tenth of the price? Seared the mullet, tried to make a sauce bound with its liver and some of the monkfish that didn't quite come out right, also with roast peppers and tomatos, saffron potatos.

Otherwise - more of those irresistible tolouse sausages and some stock bones (good value, only 50p/kilo) from the Ginger Pig. Lamb Shank and Kidneys from Northfields.

Saffron from Brindisa. Relatively unexotic veggies from Booth's - stayed clear of my funghi addiction for once.

Ethiopian coffee beans from Monmouth.

Oh, and a yummy chorizo sandwich....
He has taken up residence in the 'Grand Hotel Abyss' - a beautiful hotel, equipped with every comfort, on the edge of an abyss, of nothingness, of absurdity. And the daily contemplation of the abyss between excellent meals or artistic entertainments, can only heighten the enjoyment of the subtle comforts offered.

#36 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

A very summery day there today, lots of people drinking instead of shopping.

I ended up with -

A not overly summery packet of oxtail from Northfields. Looks quite good, very good price.
A couple of kilos of mutton leg from Farmer Sharp that I'm going to confit. Rather ripe to say the least, hung for over 3 weeks apparently. More kidney fat to do the confit with.
Yet more Ginger Pig Tolouse sausages. Another addiction, just what I need....
Something I'd never seen before at Furness fish - Squat Lobsters. Looked more like American crayfish - although with long legs - than langoustine. Very peculiar appearance but extremely cheap (only 7 quid/kilo). Think I'll make them into risotto.
At Booth's - who have a very nice new shop - the only particularly exotic thing was more garlic leaves, but this time wild, which smell much stronger than the last batch I had. I'm in pursuit of wild vegetables in general at the moment, trying to get wild asparagus but apparently they don't really get much there.

Ate one of Northfield Farm's excellent burgers to see me through....

Also a bottle of Charpoutier Hermitage from Bedales. My god I'm a soft sell. As fun as ever and some good eating for the next week.

#37 SamanthaF

SamanthaF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

I had a great shopping trip today.

Lovely Loin of new season lamb from Northfield Farm
Old Spot sausages from TGP
Wild Garlic from Turnips
Asparagus and morels from Booths
and a dozen langostines from the Grimsby fish people.

(For dinner I had pie and mash from Pie Minster)
Okay, they can tell me "miso butterscotch" until the cows come home, but I say it's toffee and I say the hell with it. This is the goo an eight year-old wants to find in the middle of a candy bar. No adult in their senses wants it creeping up on their pig parts.
Wilfrid at The Pink Pig.

"I'm lost. You shat on the cum-carpet, or you came on the shit-carpet?" - The Wonderful LML 5th Feb, 2008.

"God bless those fucking guidelines. Where would we be without them?" - Stone March 2008

#38 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

I had a great shopping trip today.

Lovely Loin of new season lamb from Northfield Farm
Old Spot sausages from TGP
Wild Garlic from :lol: Turnips
Asparagus and morels from Booths
and a dozen langostines from the Grimsby fish people.

(For dinner I had pie and mash from Pie Minster)

I do often wonder how many people I 'know' from the foodboards are wandering around borough at the same time as me without us actually having a clue what the other looks like.... Perhaps we should have a MF =ers buy Borough dry Friday sometime. Sounds like you did have a suitably bountious trip.

Made masses of confit with the mutton today. Initial signs are most promising. Not so sure about the spot lobsters though. Only worked out they hadn't been steamed when I came to investigate them this afternoon and they'd already started to slide a bit. Not bad, but beginning to show for sure. I ate one a hour ago, though, and I'm still here so they can't be that far gone...

I'm self-banned from Turnips - I just wonder why the don't have a 20 quid covercharge to even look at the veggies - but the wild garlic does sound good. Going to make my leaves into risotto tomorrow.

#39 alexhills

alexhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

At Borough yesterday -

A nice chunk of shoulder from the pork sale at GP. I don't know why a pork sale sounds weird, but it does... Going to cook it slowly with apples and figs in cider. Also more fuel for my addiction to their tolouse sausages

A piece of Galloway sirloin from Sharpe. Looking forward to trying that, first time I've got a fnacy cut of their beef.

A mackerel from shellseekers that will be my lunch along with a radish salad...

A wood pidgeon from Wyndhams. Also a chat with the bloke about artificial inflation in the game market. He said he was paying 9 quid a bird for grouse already last season and that a lot of the talk of bad years is just a way to keep the price up. Refreshingly honest.
A very nice very dense donkey saucisson from the French deli people at the back, along with a couple of cheeses. I really rate their charcuterie, pungent and high fat content, not as refined as the stuff Fromagerie gets, but I actually prefer it that way.

Various bits and pieces at Booths including some Romanian ceps that were mostly in dodgy shape but managed to pull out a few decent ones. Not tried them before, looked more promising than the South African though.

A nice visit all in all, though I need to get back to going on Friday mornings when it's all a bit calmer.