#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

can anyone recommend a good one? thanks

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 24 2010, 10:51 PM) View Post

um, maybe kosher for passover coke?

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE(TaliesinNYC @ Apr 26 2010, 09:50 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 24 2010, 10:51 PM) View Post

um, maybe kosher for passover coke?

thanks but:
1) that's a soda and not a syrup
2) it's made with a beet sugar/cane sugar blend, not pure cane sugar
3) it's pretty much all sold out

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:54 AM

i keep seeing recipes for cola syrup around, has anyone here ever made their own cola syrup?

i did find a ready made syrup by sonoma syrup co but they only distribute it through williams sonoma at an insane price
Posted Image

~Jack Handey

#5 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:12 AM

Brooklyn's P&H Soda Co. - Soda Syrup
-- Jeff

TioPacho.com

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#6 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:19 AM

We always had a bottle of it in the house growing up - from the pharmacy. A brown bottle with thick cola syrup. I'm not sure what it was for, but I snuck that long before alcohol. Wonder if it is still sold?

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:32 AM

We always had a bottle of it in the house growing up - from the pharmacy. A brown bottle with thick cola syrup. I'm not sure what it was for, but I snuck that long before alcohol. Wonder if it is still sold?

yup, it's still sold but it's not made with cane sugar anymore.

~Jack Handey

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:37 AM

Brooklyn's P&H Soda Co. - Soda Syrup

thanks. looks like they sell bottles at kalustyans. will check it out

~Jack Handey

#9 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:39 AM

What about the stuff for the Soda Stream systems:
http://www.sodastrea.../Cola-P99.aspx#

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

fake fake fake. they use beet sugar and sucralose. i've mostly been making my own soda syrups from scratch but cola syrup is so labor intensive that i figured i'd try to find a cane sugar version in the bottle.

~Jack Handey

#11 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:48 AM

fake fake fake. they use beet sugar and sucralose. i've mostly been making my own soda syrups from scratch but cola syrup is so labor intensive that i figured i'd try to find a cane sugar version in the bottle.

I'm not surprised they use beet sugar but how do you know that? They have a new line coming out this spring that claims to be cane sugar:
http://www.sodastrea...-2011-P284.aspx

I find the whole concept odd - but I drink about 6 sodas a year.

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:51 AM

I'm not surprised they use beet sugar but how do you know that? They have a new line coming out this spring that claims to be cane sugar:
http://www.sodastrea...-2011-P284.aspx

I find the whole concept odd - but I drink about 6 sodas a year.

i asked them. i am allergic to beet sugar and splenda so that stuff is poison to me. the naturals sound like they might work for me. thanks!

~Jack Handey

#13 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Bubby's uses cane sugar, but it's even more expensive than Sonoma Syrup Co. It's about the same price, but for only 16oz, plus it's $6.99 for shipping. You might be able to check it out at the Bubby's in Tribeca or Brooklyn and thus save on the shipping.

Are you allergic to beets, too? That would be a handy allergy to have (beets taste like dirt!).

From Bubby's blog (bolding mine)

</h1>

<h1>Soda Pop…
It’s easy to take for granted the continuously flowing fountain of pop that is consumed in this, our fair nation. To be somewhat inaccurate, but using the mass of information that exists on the Google, the amount is something like 15 billion gallons a year. That’s something like 375 bottles of soda pop a year for every man woman and child in America. More than 99% of that pop is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. Bubby’s soda is 100% made by hand, using cane sugar and all natural flavorings. Besides using our own cola, root beer and ginger syrup to make your soda, we cut fresh fruit or squeeze seasonal fruits to make a great array of sodas throughout the year. Right now, besides grapefruit, lemon, or orange soda, we also have fresh squeezed pomegranate and also blood orange soda. The difference is obvious, but you have to try one! Soon our soda syrups will be available for you to take home and make your own… Look out for it at your local Bubby’s!

Info on their locations http://bubbys.com/

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,777 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

We did, too. It was administered for upset stomachs or some such. I remember really liking it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:25 AM

NYTimes has a recipe for cola syrup. It doesn't look too labor intensive, so maybe you can try it instead of the one you're currently using?