49 replies to this topic

#1 Gomez

Gomez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:33 AM

We got one after the Oster protested with the frozen fruit...

Just received the box today smile.gif

So far, we have run soapy water through, sparkling!

What do you all make in yours?
www.nutropical.com
~borojo~

#2 beccaboo

beccaboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(Gomez @ Jun 1 2010, 06:33 PM) View Post
We got one after the Oster protested with the frozen fruit...

Just received the box today smile.gif

So far, we have run soapy water through, sparkling!

What do you all make in yours?

I just ground up some mole (the sauce, not the creature) today.... I used to use it to make soymilk before I got a special soymilk machine. Now, mostly smoothies.

There's a really good and easy sauce/dressing I've made lately, too. Blend a whole bunch of herbs (parsley, mint, basil--whatever you have on hand that goes with what you're putting it on and isn't too strongly flavored) with some olive oil lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and a little sugar. I made this with parsley and used it for the sauce of artichoke pasta with asparagus. Sautι the asparagus pieces (along with shallots, garlic, whatever), then add the drained pasta and a little of the sauce. Stir for a little bit, then take off the heat and add the rest of the sauce.

#3 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

I attended a vegan cooking class a few months ago and the chef used it to grind raw cashews with water to use as a substitute for cream in recipes. Made a lovely smooth liquid.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#4 beccaboo

beccaboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

And I used to use it to grind grain, till I got a mill attachment for my mixer--it worked well, but scratched up the container, since I didn't have the special 'dry carafe.'

#5 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Have had one for some 30 years - still works like a charm and is by farrrrrr, the best mixer on the market. Think the price was $100 or in this case $3.33 a year.

#6 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:47 AM

I use the dry-blade container to grind grain. I can't stand the stale, rancid taste of pre-ground whole wheat flour. Unless you're buying the flour directly from the mill, you're missing out on the flavor of real whole wheat flour.

The wet container is awesome for making cream soups and purιes. Silky-smooth with no need for passing through a sieve.

I also use the dry-blade for making masala for biryani. I follow Niloufer Ichaporia King's recipe from My Bombay Kitchen. Toast the spices and throw them in the mixer. Pulse. Add the raw cashews. Pulse some more. Add a bit of liquid to loosen the paste as needed. Just absolutely gorgeous.

• • • Edsel • • •
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#7 Gomez

Gomez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:01 AM

Great ideas!

When you did the mole, beccaboo, did it stain the container?

Foodie52, that cashew with water trick sounds great!

smile.gif
www.nutropical.com
~borojo~

#8 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE(foodie52 @ Jun 2 2010, 08:42 AM) View Post
I attended a vegan cooking class a few months ago and the chef used it to grind raw cashews with water to use as a substitute for cream in recipes. Made a lovely smooth liquid.

Oh, I forgot that the Vita-Mix makes great nut butters and nut milks.

I wanted to make ice cream for a gathering of friends that included a couple of vegans. Vegan ice cream is a bit of a challenge, but this recipe for nut milk definitely helped:

Creamy Nut Milk

The nut milk was fabulous, and it made a terrific ice cream. (Filed for future reference.)

• • • Edsel • • •
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#9 beccaboo

beccaboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(Gomez @ Jun 2 2010, 07:01 PM) View Post
Great ideas!

When you did the mole, beccaboo, did it stain the container?

smile.gif

No, my container's fresh and clean! It wasn't very dark mole, though--kind of tannish.

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

so i mention, to my mom, that i'm finally going to break down and buy a vitamix. when she hears the price, she asks if i want my nana's old vitamix. well, nana's been dead for 25 years and i never saw it in her kitchen, when i was growing up. so, it stands to reason that this vitamix is 50-60 years old. does anyone know if a 50 year old vitamix is likely to be worth digging up and having serviced?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'll bet that other than a good wash, it won't need servicing. That it will be just fine.

(If I'm wrong, send it to me and I'll take good care of it. :P )

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#12 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

reconditioned vitamix blender with 5-year guarantee for $329

use coupon code of 06-006777 to get free shipping
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#13 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

One of the great companies and the best of its class in products. The Vitamix is certainly one of the five most important and necessary items in any kitchen. At $329 and a five-year warranty it's a steal.

And no, I don't own stock in the company. :lol:

#14 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

reconditioned vitamix blender with 5-year guarantee for $329

use coupon code of 06-006777 to get free shipping

I may finally pull the trigger. That just comes with one blending jar, right?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#15 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

It is appealing.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment