27 replies to this topic

#1 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:12 AM

I can't believe we don't have a thread in the NY forum (and yes, I searched). blink.gif

Business lunch today...

* Lemon martini tasted too much like lemonade. angry.gif (I had a sip.)

* Sea scallops and salmon could've used a touch less acid. It's their version of crudo.

* Skate was all right, but that skordalia had no business being paired with it. Ditto for the beets. Good thing I like them; one person's "earthiness" is another's "dirt".

* No dessert -- that's what Starbucks is for.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,592 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:32 AM

That's strange, I could swear I posted something on a meal there in 2009. Guess I didn't.

Would you consider this above, about the same, or below a similar meal at Esca, etc? Cost wise, I pegged Molyvos a little higher, as I recall.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Jun 4 2010, 12:32 AM) View Post
That's strange, I could swear I posted something on a meal there in 2009. Guess I didn't.

Would you consider this above, about the same, or below a similar meal at Esca, etc? Cost wise, I pegged Molyvos a little higher, as I recall.

Probably a bit higher.

Appetizers top out around 17, entrées in the mid-30s. They charge by the pound for fish -- whole or grilled. For the check-sensitive, there's also a selection of "lighter entrées", one of which was a lamb burger served in a brioche bun. (No, I didn't consider it.)

Service was all right. No egregious mistakes.

But still better than Estiatorio Milos, by far.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Emerging from Zankel Hall not in the mood for the usual local options, I remembered that a friend who is an Actual Greek spoke highly of a meal she had recently at Molyvos.

Molyvos is a forgotten restaurant. Nobody thinks about it anymore. When it opened many years ago, it was kind of a big deal. But time moves on. I assume the opening chef, who was being pushed as a sort of quasi-name, has long left. And Michael Psilakis has sort of run off with the high-end Greek field.

But Molyvos is still worth eating at -- if no longer worth getting exciting about (and make no mistake, in its early days, my wife and I did get excited about it).

Their best dish, hands down, used to be the grilled octopus appetizer. It's still good, if no longer magical. The char is no longer quite as crunchy, and the octopus is a bit blander than I remember. But still good.

For a main dish, short ribs in a fatty/acidic red wine sauce -- very Greek -- with some nice gnocchiesque yoghurt dumplings. The meat, which must have been sitting in that wine a very long time, was beyond fork-tender -- maybe blunt-object tender.

One thing that's improved in the time since Molyvos opened is Greek red wine. Most of it used to be pretty bad. But I had a Cabernet/unpronouncable-Greek-variety blend with my beef that was just lovely, the Cab providing structure and the unpronouncable Greek variety providing fruit. Good white Assyrtico for the octopus we've had with us always.

COMP DISCLOSURE: Not-quite-a-shot of Ouzo (when the bartender saw he didn't have enough to quite fill my shot glass, he said "I guess it's your lucky day"); an extra pour of that red; a dessert wine.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

What I Learned Sitting At The Bar In Molyvos Last Night

Annoying Young People Who Wear Hats In Restaurants are still annoying even if they're trained professional classical musicians.*

MF Old

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

What I Learned Sitting At The Bar In Molyvos Last Night

Annoying Young People Who Wear Hats In Restaurants are still annoying even if they're trained professional classical musicians.*

Thank god, because I like eighth blackbird a lot.

and thanks for the reminder of this place. We used to go a lot before/after City Center, often just for a selection of meze. It sort of fell out of our field of vision except when we walk past it back up to 57th Street.

We too have always been disappointed in the skordalia--not gutsy enough.

And Jim Botsacos is still listed as chef-partner. So it could just be general fatigue.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#7 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:42 AM

They just opened a branch here in Las Vegas. The fish on display looks excellent. But, the pricing is typically outrageous for an NYC transplant to the Strip (same for the Blue Ribbon outposst located next door).

#8 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

The place in Las Vegas is a branch of Milos, not Molyvos.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,621 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

That makes much more sense. I was kind of mystified at the idea of Molyvos LV. I thought they had just started cloning restaurants there at random.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,518 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

They just opened a branch here in Las Vegas. The fish on display looks excellent. But, the pricing is typically outrageous for an NYC transplant to the Strip (same for the Blue Ribbon outposst located next door).

The prices at Milos in NYC are staggering.

Crabcake appetizer, $26.75.

Shrimp, $65 per lb.

Fish soup, $120 (oh, that serves two people).

Fresh fish priced per pound, "(Minimum 3-lb. Whole Fish.) Additional $15 Per Order"* - what? What's that fifteen bucks for???

I think I'll go to Per Se instead. :lol:

*Menupages

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,621 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

I don't know if they still do, but Milos used to have a $35 pre-theater menu, in addition to their mind-boggling carte.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,036 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

I've had Milos on my "one of these days" list for a long time. But then I look at those prices, and say, "not now".
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,518 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

I've only ever used it on an expense account. It shares that in common with The Four Seasons. And my conclusion was that even other people's money can be better spent elsewhere.

#14 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

When Taliesin and I had lunch at Milos, we agreed it was just eh. Not because it was a Restaurant Week lunch, since imo RT meals are usually pretty close to "the real thing" if in smaller portions. No, the food was just boring.

Pre- and post-theater prix fixe is now $49 (scroll down). Given the stratospheric à la carte prices, that could be considered a good deal. But only if the food were better.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#15 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

Fresh fish priced per pound, "(Minimum 3-lb. Whole Fish.) Additional $15 Per Order"* - what? What's that fifteen bucks for???

Stop whining. You can always have the rotten fish and avoid the surcharge.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson