13 replies to this topic

#1 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

Have couple of nice King salmon fillets - can i grill them on one (skin) side only?

thanks much!

ETA so urgent that i made a typo in the title blush.gif

Title has been fixed - Paul

Edited by Rail Paul, 25 June 2010 - 12:14 AM.

"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Jun 24 2010, 03:40 PM) View Post
Have couple of nice King salmon fillets - can i grill them on one (skin) side only?

thanks much!

Probably depends how thick they are, how tolerant you are of rare salmon, and whether you cover the grill.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#3 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

prob 3/4", i don't mind a raw fish, and the grill will be covered...
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,341 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Jun 24 2010, 03:42 PM) View Post
prob 3/4", i don't mind a raw fish, and the grill will be covered...

that should work, you just won't have char marks on the skinless side

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#5 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

yes, I often grill salmon filets , skin side down only..crisp skin, keep flesh mr or rare. If you want them rarer, throw them in the freezer for 20-30 mins before cooking..Enjoy!

#6 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:10 PM

thank you for the reassurance! - i put the fillets on thyme brunches and poured a bit of olive oil as a quick marinade - have couple of hours before i cook them...

#7 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

The cover on the grill will retain the heat, so you'll be grilling and baking.

I just turned on my grill and going to throw a small piece of salmon on. I bought a small piece today along with some scallops and was just going to make sashimi, but the charred skin is nice..smile.gif

#8 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

i plan to keep the cover closed for about 4mins and then check - hopefully the salmon would be perfectly cooked at this time...

roasted fingerlings with dill, capers and olives with lemon vinaigrette, and a salad of arugula and cucumber, starting to cook now... smile.gif

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,903 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Jun 24 2010, 07:28 PM) View Post
i plan to keep the cover closed for about 4mins and then check - hopefully the salmon would be perfectly cooked at this time...

roasted fingerlings with dill, capers and olives with lemon vinaigrette, and a salad of arugula and cucumber, starting to cook now... smile.gif

That sounds wonderful. If your salmon is 3/4 inch thick, it might take a little longer than four minutes. Check it occasionally, and you should be fine.

Are you serving a wine or beer with it?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#10 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Jun 24 2010, 04:45 PM) View Post

That sounds wonderful. If your salmon is 3/4 inch thick, it might take a little longer than four minutes. Check it occasionally, and you should be fine.

The ol' 10 minutes per inch for fish rule? Not sure if that applies for grills as well. Or rare fish.

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,903 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Jun 24 2010, 08:11 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Rail Paul @ Jun 24 2010, 04:45 PM) View Post

The ol' 10 minutes per inch for fish rule? Not sure if that applies for grills as well. Or rare fish.

Yup. The variation of heat on grills really makes it imperative to check regularly.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#12 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

The Weber User Guide suggests 5mins for 1/2" and 10mins for 1"...

Flying Fish Exit 6 Wallonia Rye - another great beer from these guys - i really feel proud of having then in our state, such interesting beers!

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:52 AM

Damn I'm sorry I missed this!

Must have been great, no matter what you did -- good salmon, very rare, is still great.

I hope you'll post pix on the Supper thread.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#14 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:14 AM

well here we go...