#1 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

Anyone?

This trailing plant puts out these globes of flowers off and on all year - they grow facing downward, so always a nice surprise to find one. My hand for scale.

#2 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:06 AM

Triffid.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,895 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Jun 29 2010, 10:06 PM)  
Triffid.

laugh.gif
Don't go to sleep.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:23 AM

M would love that, but, no.

#5 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Jun 29 2010, 08:31 PM)  
Anyone?

This trailing plant puts out these globes of flowers off and on all year - they grow facing downward, so always a nice surprise to find one. My hand for scale.

Hoya. It's a lovely plant, just lovely, with dark green leathery leaves and those fabulous composite flowers. Here in Mexico, it's sometimes called terciopelo--velvet.

Does yours ever drip droplets of honey?

Do I win anything? A cutting would be nice...
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#6 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

"I mispoke."

#7 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE(Miguel Gierbolini @ Jul 9 2010, 11:06 PM)  

Is this one yours? And is it sometimes called terciopelo where you are? Here we are famous for making up whatever name strikes our fancy! For example, bugambilia is known as bugambilia most everywhere in Mexico, but in Morelia, it's called camelinas.
Mexico Cooks!

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

#8 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:10 AM

Cristina - Thank you for a name - does not seem to be an identifier though. No honey that I am aware of - perhaps the kitties take care of it? We would love to bring you a cutting (do you suppose customs would frown upon that?)

Miguel - beautiful photo - do you have a name for the plant?

#9 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

No no this is not mine but it is a plant available here. I don't know what we call it. In Puerto Rico, the Bougainvillea is known as Trinitarias.
"I mispoke."

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

looks like it might be called wax plant here

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#11 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoya

#12 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Jul 10 2010, 01:10 AM)  
Cristina - Thank you for a name - does not seem to be an identifier though. No honey that I am aware of - perhaps the kitties take care of it? We would love to bring you a cutting (do you suppose customs would frown upon that?)

Miguel - beautiful photo - do you have a name for the plant?

tsquare, it truly is what I mentioned: hoya. I had one for years that I grew from a cutting given to me by friends and would love to find another. Others have posted links to identifying websites. Why would you think it is not hoya?

If you come this way, customs would not care if you brought a cutting. As long as the plant is bare-root or a cutting, it can travel either way across the border. Plants in pots are a different story: a big no-no.
Mexico Cooks!

#13 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

Thank you! I completely missed that "Hoya" was not a greeting in a foreign language.

#14 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Jul 10 2010, 12:35 PM)  
Thank you! I completely missed that "Hoya" was not a greeting in a foreign language.

laugh.gif

Sounds like something I would think, too!

#15 cristina

cristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Jul 10 2010, 12:35 PM)  

So when are you bringing the cutting? tongue.gif
Mexico Cooks!