113 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

There is something overwrought about the name, but this little place is doing a lot of things right. I haven't seen much about it online, but the locals know.

More at the Pink Pig.

#2 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

There is something overwrought about the name, but this little place is doing a lot of things right. I haven't seen much about it online, but the locals know.

More at the Pink Pig.

http://chowhound.cho...dy;topic-708976

This space available… contact owner.

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

A friend who lives nearby has been raving about this place for a couple of weeks now. Guess I should try it.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

More at the Pink Pig.

Yeah, they could have gone with "blood diamond" or something more appropriate.

Prices seem obviously promotional, but thanks for the review - I'd never have gone there based on the menu.
I never said that

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,612 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

Not that anyone cares, but it would be hard for me to overcome how offensive I find that name (and the blurb about pork and shellfish on their website) in that locational context.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

Not that anyone cares, but it would be hard for me to overcome how offensive I find that name (and the blurb about pork and shellfish on their website) in that locational context.

I'm sure they're counting on the extra publicity offsetting that.

Btw, while their blog is a good indication that you don't have to be smart to be Jewish, the responses are hilarious, and google's choice of ads even more so:

http://traifny.wordp...bacon/#comments

Ads by Google
Free Jewish Recipes
Learn How To Make Great Jewish Food Check Out Our Recipe Website Now!
www.MyJewishLearning.com/Recipes

I never said that

#7 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

It's really disrespectful beyond belief.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

I don't disagree. It's particularly unfortunate because nothing about the menu, the service or the overall ambience of the place comports with the provocative name. In a quite different context, a chef like David Chang follows through on critical comments about vegetarianism by proposing menus hostile to vegetarians. There is nothing about Traif, once you get inside, which would tell you it's making some kind of point about non-kosher food. I suppose I'm trying to say that is far from an aggressive restaurant - and we have plenty of those right now.

The name is really unfortunate.

#9 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

The name is especially stupid because it's not like anyone from the south Williamsburg Jewish community would eat there if it was called Petunia or Bistro on South 4th.

#10 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,207 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

I don't disagree. It's particularly unfortunate because nothing about the menu, the service or the overall ambience of the place comports with the provocative name. In a quite different context, a chef like David Chang follows through on critical comments about vegetarianism by proposing menus hostile to vegetarians. There is nothing about Traif, once you get inside, which would tell you it's making some kind of point about non-kosher food. I suppose I'm trying to say that is far from an aggressive restaurant - and we have plenty of those right now.

It doesn't matter what's on the menu, it could be an all matzo menu for all I care.

An analogy would be like David Chang opening up a Anti-Vegan restaurant in the middle of a vegan commune: it's a big f-you. From what I hear, there's been rising tension between the Hasidim and hipsters and this for sure is not going to help.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

An analogy would be like David Chang opening up a Anti-Vegan restaurant in the middle of a vegan commune: it's a big f-you. From what I hear, there's been rising tension between the Hasidim and hipsters and this for sure is not going to help.

Who said helping reduce that tension is good?
I never said that

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

There's been a Traif Bike Shop a short walk away for somewhat longer, so it's not even original - although applied to a bike shop I guess it's mainly just silly. The chef has said that the name was in place before the location was decided; they had been looking to open in the East Village. Of course, that doesn't mean they couldn't have changed the name.

Not that it's a dispositive point, but I should mention for the record that the chef is Jewish.

#13 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

It doesn't matter what's on the menu, it could be an all matzo menu for all I care.

eh. sometimes people need a big f-you. The hasidim don't exactly have a rep for live and let live. Remember the stupidity surrounding the bedford ave bike lane? Women in shorts being offensive to them?

It's a community of religious fanatics who want to pretend they live in L'viv in 1650.
Why not mayo?

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,612 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

Not that it's a dispositive point, but I should mention for the record that the chef is Jewish.

Obviously. No non-Jew would either care enough or dare to do that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,409 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

It's really disrespectful beyond belief.

of course it is - but that ain't a bad thing in this case. Religious fanaticism is nothing to respect.
Why not mayo?