5 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,098 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

Interesting article about a guy who's trying to crack into the very tight, very relationship centered business of bringing fish to restaurants. He's not profitable yet, but he does have accounts with Vongerichten and other houses.

Matthew Henderson is the young and energetic guy behind the Day Boat Collaborative. It’s a one-man venture at the moment. He works – collaborates? – with a handful of day-boat fishermen who land fish and shellfish off the coast of Massachusetts, in places that really beg to be pronounced with a Southie accent, like Woods Hole and Scituate. “Day boat” is another way to say small boat, and the connotation and promise is that he is supporting fishermen who are being squeezed out of the business by consolidation and a market that doesn’t appreciate hand-caught fish. Henderson meets them at the dock, takes their catch, butchers it, ices it and drives it south, delivering seafood that’s been out of the ocean for less than 24 (and often 12) hours by the time it arrives at a restaurant.

I met up with Henderson on the cobblestone street outside of Savoy and rode shotgun as he brought deliveries into the kitchens of three restaurants owned by the chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten: Mercer Kitchen, Perry Street and JoJo.

New Guy in town

Day Boat site

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Interesting article about a guy who's trying to crack into the very tight, very relationship centered business of bringing fish to restaurants. He's not profitable yet, but he does have accounts with Vongerichten and other houses.

Matthew Henderson is the young and energetic guy behind the Day Boat Collaborative. It’s a one-man venture at the moment. He works – collaborates? – with a handful of day-boat fishermen who land fish and shellfish off the coast of Massachusetts, in places that really beg to be pronounced with a Southie accent, like Woods Hole and Scituate. “Day boat” is another way to say small boat, and the connotation and promise is that he is supporting fishermen who are being squeezed out of the business by consolidation and a market that doesn’t appreciate hand-caught fish. Henderson meets them at the dock, takes their catch, butchers it, ices it and drives it south, delivering seafood that’s been out of the ocean for less than 24 (and often 12) hours by the time it arrives at a restaurant.

I met up with Henderson on the cobblestone street outside of Savoy and rode shotgun as he brought deliveries into the kitchens of three restaurants owned by the chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten: Mercer Kitchen, Perry Street and JoJo.

New Guy in town

Day Boat site

Am I naive or is this exact service already being provided, just not by someone who knows people at the times?
Why not mayo?

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,098 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

New Guy in town

Day Boat site

Am I naive or is this exact service already being provided, just not by someone who knows people at the times?

That's probably some of it. But, the chain of hands for most fish delivery in NY is often longer than just one guy. Based on my experiences with one small MA packing house, there are usually three or four entities between the boat guy and the receiving dock at the restaurant.

I think this is a good attempt at shortening the delivery chain, but I don't think that one guy doing the cleaning, driving, delivering, etc is scalable for a long term business model. You need personal touch at both extremes and you need good quality controls in the middle. it's tough to get all those pieces in sync,and the same person on both ends, as the anecdote about the fish roe sacs illustrates. That wouldn't happen with three intervening people

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,207 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

Other than Blue Moon who deliver their own fish to the market (although I think they go out for more than a day at a time), I haven't seen anyone distributing exclusively dayboat fish in the city - do you know of anyone?

It is hard to imagine how he'd become profitable.
I never said that

#5 bigbear

bigbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Other than Blue Moon who deliver their own fish to the market (although I think they go out for more than a day at a time), I haven't seen anyone distributing exclusively dayboat fish in the city - do you know of anyone?

Do oysters count?

Widow's Hole Oyster Co.
-- Jeff

TioPacho.com

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#6 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Do oysters count?

Widow's Hole Oyster Co.

Island Creek Oysters in Duxbury works and has trucks delivering around the Boston area and ships to Tom Keller and others.

A few years ago, I looked into partnering with a friend on the Fish Pier, for a high end retail division. They already supply many top restaurants. I had a few hi end hi rises..Ritz Carlton, 4 Seasons lined up, but the numbers just didn't work to make any $.

BTW, The Scituate they mention is 1 of our favorite spots, sort of like Cape Cod, 30 years ago. Here's some pics I've taken.