81 replies to this topic

#1 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

My sister and her husband are heading to Boston shortly. They are adventurous eaters although sis is allergic to shellfish, and interested in wine. Price is not really a consideration but they are more the Momofuku types than the Le Bernardin sorts. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the current dining scene there.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:01 AM

It's been a while, but I have fond memories of No. 9 Park.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

My sister and her husband are heading to Boston shortly. They are adventurous eaters although sis is allergic to shellfish, and interested in wine. Price is not really a consideration but they are more the Momofuku types than the Le Bernardin sorts. I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the current dining scene there.

I haven't been to Momofuku but have an idea from reading about them.

2 places that come to mind are Myers & Chang in the south End and North by Northeast in Cambridge. Another of Boston

best is Craigie on Main, also in Cambridge.

I like #9 but a little more formal, maybe eat at the bar. Also formal, Troquet has a great wine list, request a window seat overlooking the Common.

Scampo in the Liberty Hotel is very good.

Shame about the shellfish allergy. I knocks out Neptune Oyster,1 of my faves but they couldn't eat 3/4 of menu.

East Coast Grill is not new but still offers great finfish and bbq in a lively atmosphere.

eta..2 places that have recently opened and getting great reports from friends are Russel House Tavern in Harvard Sq and Bergamot in Somerville.

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

I've heard great things about Craigie and a friend recently went to Bergamot and loved it.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

I don't. My memories are of an incredibly stuffy meal. Cramped room. Overpriced (for Boston). Condescending and generally poor service.

I like the Cafe at No. 9 a lot so it isn't the talent of the cooks that was lacking.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

I don't. My memories are of an incredibly stuffy meal. Cramped room. Overpriced (for Boston). Condescending and generally poor service.

I like the Cafe at No. 9 a lot so it isn't the talent of the cooks that was lacking.

I should have explained first that I was there with a bunch of chefs as a dine-around from the Women Chefs and Restaurateurs conference, so my experience could have been atypical. And anyway, the dish that blew me away is off-limits for the diner in question (roasted oysters).

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

#7 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, everybody. The cafe at No. 9 sounds ideal, I will pass along other suggestions as well.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#8 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

Let them know that, unless they have recently changed the policy, if you sit at a table in the Cafe you can only order off of that menu. If you sit at the bar you can order anything off of either menu.

#9 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

Let them know that, unless they have recently changed the policy, if you sit at a table in the Cafe you can only order off of that menu. If you sit at the bar you can order anything off of either menu.

Thanks, I mentioned that to them.

#10 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Any hotel suggestions for Boston?
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,910 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Last fall we stayed at a nice place in Brookline, much like a B&B but without the &B. Located on the Green Line, so easy access into town. Cost was reasonable. Shall I check for the name and address?

#12 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Last fall we stayed at a nice place in Brookline, much like a B&B but without the &B. Located on the Green Line, so easy access into town. Cost was reasonable. Shall I check for the name and address?

Thank you, but corporate dictated, so no worries!
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#13 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Any hotel suggestions for Boston?

I like the Charlesmark on Boylston at Copley Place. Small but very nice rooms. Reasonable prices.

#14 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:24 AM

Bondir: Yeah or Nay ?

A friend wants to go there when I pass through Boston next week. I was told that it recently made Bon Appetit's list of top 10 new restaurants in the US. Good for Bondir, but I am unmoved either way by Bon Appetit's seal of approval (Bondir was #10. M Wells was #8.) That said, the menu looks reasonable. That said, the chef used to be at the Beacon Hill Bistro which was not very interesting. Help ! I may be forced to go here no matter what but some feedback would be helpful.

Who's been to Bondir? What's good there ? What's less than good ?

Secondly, what other new restaurants that opened within the last 12 months (or 2 years, max) in Boston or Cambridge merit consideration ?

I'll note for the record that while passing thru Boston this summer I ate at Clio and Craigie on Main. Both are worthy of a visit. It was my first time at Craigie. I had eaten at Clio a couple of times last year and many times back when it first opened.

I'll also note for the record I do not require a "new restaurant" because I am a fashion plate that only eats at new places. It's because I ate extensively in Boston last year. I went to pretty much every single restaurant that was worth going to (except Menton because friends said don't bother - do that kind of meal in NYC) along with multiple in the following list that weren't worth going to. Off the top of my head: No 9 Park, Scampo, Uni, check check check. Troquet, Bergamot, L'Espalier, check check check. Bistro du Midi, O Ya, Toro, check check check. Market by JG, Radius, Mooo, check check check. Miel for brunch, Henriettas for brunch, Summer Shack for lunch, check check check. Teatro, Sorellina, Asana, check check check. Mistral, Davio's, Sam's, check check check. Others are escaping me at the moment.

#15 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

I could answer your questions but your politic* are such that I won't.

*This is the only forum I know where you can say fuck all you want but can't
talk politics.