Shepherds Bush

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:50 AM

Hey people,

bit of a rush job I'm afraid, but does anyone have any suggestions for a place to get a decent bite to eat around the Shepherds Bush area? We will be there this evening (8/11) at about 5pm. Doesn't have to be anything too fancy, just good and quick (have to be at the empire by about 6.30-6.45ish).

All replies appreciated.

#2 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:53 AM

Patio, on the corner of Shepherd's Bush Green and Goldhawk Road. Cheap and reliable Polish with free vodka thrown in. I haven't been for a few years but doubt it's changed. Doubt they're open at 5 tho' (after looking at your message again).

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#3 Kikujiro

Kikujiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:27 PM

John, I owe you huge thanks. I just checked to see what you might be going to, and was a bit taken aback to realise it was Rufus. I'm going to Rufus. I thought it was at the Hammersmith Apollo :D

Saved from near disaster, there.

Here's the reply I had written before the above:

Patio is hilarious. Food not all that, but cheap, good fun and indeed free vodka.

Chez Kristof is on Hammersmith Grove, halfway between Hammersmith and the SB Empire, but may be hard with that timing. It's very good for the area.

Haven't eaten at, but you may also want to consider, the gastropub/wine bar Albertine (1 Wood Lane, 020 8743 9593) or Esarn Kheaw, a Thai place at 314 Uxbridge Rd, 020 8743 8930.
Same shit, different login. [-- Omni]

#4 Kikujiro

Kikujiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:29 PM

ps 6.45 ish sounds aggressively early.

What time's the support? What time's R?

#5 Kikujiro

Kikujiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:35 PM

Never quite sure how seriously to take London Eating reviews, but Easarn Kheaw does get good ones.

#6 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

Kiku,

No, thank you! Have just checked the webshite, doors at 7pm, Joe Casey 7.50, Martha Wainwright, 8.40, Rufus Wainwright, 9.15! Maybe I'm just naive but when the ticket says 7pm, I thought it would all be on at 7pm! (I don't do concerts much, obviously).

Well, that gives us a bit more time to play around with then.

#7 ampletuna

ampletuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

I just checked to see what you might be going to,

oooh, you nosey parker. :D
Yes, I would not recommend smell, touch or taste when it comes to old cock selection. Opinions differ though. Adam 2/3/05

#8 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:59 PM

I just checked to see what you might be going to,

oooh, you nosey parker. :D

Aren't these stalkers a nuisance?

#9 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:03 PM

I've also been to Easarn (sp?) Kheaw once, but again, years ago. My memory is that it wasn't as good as I'd been led to believe - it's one of those perennial TO favourites that seems to remain so, willy-nilly. I do remember food being very hot but not being motivated to return.

Then there's that place that was red-hot trendy for a brief while - The Bush Grill or whatever - just down Goldhawk Road. Is it still there?

For Patio you do have to like Polish home cooking (as I do) - which is why you get varying reactions from 'excellent' to 'really boring, bland food'.

Slightly up the fancy route, there's a couple of places on Blythe Road which goes from Shepherd's Bush Road to Olympia - not far away now that you've got more time. A steak only place right at the Shepherd's Bush end - Popeseye? - and Cotto, quite a fancy place, nearer the Olympia end.

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#10 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:18 PM

Thats why I love this site, I put this question up at about 11.30 am, and by 1.20pm I already have more than half a dozen choices!

Thanks guys.

#11 StephenT

StephenT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:24 PM

Never quite sure how seriously to take London Eating reviews, but Esarn Kheaw does get good ones.

When I saw the question I immediately thought of Easarn Kheaw but then I saw that you wanted "quick" so I dismissed it. I went there several times while living in Shepherd's Bush and although I usually found the food to be very good, I eventually got put off by the rather slow service.

I can't think of anywhere I'd particularly recommend though, when I lived there I made a point of going out near work rather than trying much local.

#12 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

Oh and there's the Brackenbury on Brackenbury Road, pretty near as well, I read a review recently that implied it had taken on a new lease of life - a restaurant I've always wanted to visit.

v

#13 Ms J

Ms J

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:29 PM

I'm with Stephen T on Esarn Kheaw - I've had great northern Thai food there, but the service is a bit slow. The sticky rice and larb with pork skin are good. And, as V says, hot. :D
Thieves, arsonists and deserters.

#14 clb

clb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:12 PM

Then there's that place that was red-hot trendy for a brief while - The Bush Grill or whatever - just down Goldhawk Road.  Is it still there?

Yes, still there as of this morning and very, very close to the roundabout.

But who knows if it's any good. :D

clb

#15 Kikujiro

Kikujiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:20 PM

Their new October menu offers a Wild Mushroom Farce :D