40 replies to this topic

#1 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

It shows absolutely no sign of appearing here in Las Vegas. The high for the next three days is supposed to be 104 (after 102 today) <_< . Very abnormal for us to be having these stretches of high temps this late in the year. We did have a one day tease in the 80s. Sure do wish we were seeing more of that...

#2 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

It's arrived in London ...

#3 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Last week was ridiculous here. I think it was 96 on wednesday, broke a record. every other day was above 90. finally, over the weekend the heat wave relented. today is the first day that feels like fall.

#4 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

Austin saw 58 degrees overnight - summer's back is finally broken, although we anticipate 89 or 90 later in the week. The morning lows will be in the 50s and 60s, instead of 80. And good hair days with lower humidity.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Austin saw 58 degrees overnight - summer's back is finally broken, although we anticipate 89 or 90 later in the week. The morning lows will be in the 50s and 60s, instead of 80. And good hair days with lower humidity.

Bah humbug. Not here. All that rain that Ghostrider worried about is finally arriving. Woke up this morning looking like a tufted puffin.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Bah humbug. Not here. All that rain that Ghostrider worried about is finally arriving. Woke up this morning looking like a tufted puffin.

Having not googled "tufted puffin," I immediately thought that was what my face looks like every morning. So then I googled - looks pretty sleek to me.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#7 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

Having not googled "tufted puffin," I immediately thought that was what my face looks like every morning. So then I googled - looks pretty sleek to me.

Obviously that tufted puffin uses tons of product.
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

Obviously that tufted puffin uses tons of product.

Yeah. My tufts stick out a lot more.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

What means "fall"?

Right now it's between 106 and 112 in various parts of Greater LA.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,612 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

A few trees changing colors in northern and central NJ.

Rain, fog and 70 degrees right now. Acorns dropping from the big oak like missile strikes. They ricochet off the deck like gunshots.

Second fire of the season in the fire place this evening should draw off the dampness. Maybe I'll make chocolate chip cookies tonight

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

A few trees changing colors in northern and central NJ.

Rain, fog and 70 degrees right now. Acorns dropping from the big oak like missile strikes. They ricochet off the deck like gunshots.

Second fire of the season in the fire place this evening should draw off the dampness. Maybe I'll make chocolate chip cookies tonight

Rub it in, why don't you?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#12 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

Acorns dropping from the big oak like missile strikes. They ricochet off the deck like gunshots.

We had almost no acorns on the big oaks in the back yard. But the neighbor has a black walnut tree and it has been a bumper year for walnuts. Right now they are huge and can really startle when they hit the roof above the back of the kitchen.

Trees are changing here in the Twin Cities. Up on the Gunflint Trail in northern MN last weekend there were a number of trees that were in the process of shedding leaves already. The birch had mostly turned and the maples were blazing oranges and reds.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#13 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

It's been fall in the Canadian prairies for a few weeks now. Daily highs are 15-20C which is perfect for me. I'm making soups and will start doing stews and chili soon. I went for a walk yesterday and most of the leaves on trees have turned yellow and are falling. I like crunching through falling leaves when I walk. Autumn is the best time of year.

#14 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

What means "fall"?

Right now it's between 106 and 112 in various parts of Greater LA.

Please, H. You know that "fall" is not included in the southwest CA package. You're welcome to apply, via rolling admission, for the full season option.
loser magnet

#15 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Trees have colored up very fast up here, not terrible vibrant a lot of purples. And the leaves are falling fast. All this owing to a very dry summer in SoVT. I don't think we've had significant rainfall since June; the ground is parched several feet down and the well is choking on air periodically.