1 reply to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:31 AM

Pleasant restaurant on the main drag in Baddeck (Bed-deck), opposite the small light house on the point. The restaurant overlooks the boat basin, so you can see the many yachts and sailboats bobbing the harbor. Since many people live on their boats, there were lights on the boats until late in the evening.

Seafood chowder, which most places have, was very good. Chunks of lobster, some shrimp, crab, potatoes, carrots, onions, in a spicy creamy soup. Nice rendition.

Excellent plate of scallops St Jacques, grilled salmon, Rickard's Ale.

The restaurant is just down the street from the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, which I found quite interesting. Many exhibits on Mr Bell's early work with hearing devices for the hearing impaired, and a full size replica of his airship and his turbine boat. Bell made a huge impact on the relatively impoverished local economy with his continuing demands for metal smiths, woodworkers, and other crafts. He had several hundred variations of his propeller shaft created as he experimented with the airship.

Highwheeler Cafe is a small sandwich and breakfast place in Baddeck. As with many local establishments, the owner was behind the counter. Excellent Grabba Jabba coffee, store baked scones in several flavors, muffins, etc.

The Neapolitan Cafe is across the street from Highwheeler. Pizza, calzones, salmon (of course), burgers, etc. Lots of beer on tapIt was louder than we'd like, so we went down the street to Bell Buoy.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

Bell made a huge impact on the relatively impoverished local economy...

Hey, that's the fancy part of Cape Breton you're talking about! (My dad grew up on the industrial side - Glace Bay - although he was born in Gabarus, a small fishing village.)

Baddeck is a lovely area, isn't it. It's been too long since I've been there.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer