44 replies to this topic

#31 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Insider (not really) note from a distiller that due to the short time the State Liquor Stores have to get rid of their inventory, there are some good bargains at the liquor stores. Since I haven't bought a bottle of spirits in years, I have no idea what to look for (nor do I really care.) One mentioned was McCarthy’s Single Malt Whiskey for $25.95 per bottle. Stores cannot ship, but if you are in Washington State - a liquor sale is a rare animal. Closeout prices?

#32 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

You can say good-bye to roughly 30-40% of the floor space in your favorite wine shop to hard liquor.

As I suspected Esquin has a 'request to sell liquor' permit on their door. I asked a long-time employee how much floor space will be dedicated to it. He shrugged, partly because he sensed in my tone that I wasn't happy about it but mostly because he probably really doesn't know. I still can't see how this is a win for the wineries, especially the ones who were running the ad in support of the prop, IIRC.

#33 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,201 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

NY Times has an article about the conversion, and its impact on many smaller state stores. Because they haven't been able to fulfill new orders from the warehouses for several weeks, a panic mode has set in among some buyers. The idea is to have as little inventory as possible in each store as ownership is handed over. Then. the new owners can place their own orders.

Ms. Hoefner said she had been unable to place any new liquor orders since mid-May. And with people driving in for miles around in recent days to buy by the case — as insurance against shortages or price increases — and the summer camping and festival season in the towns of the Cascade Range beginning in earnest this weekend, some shelves were already bare.

Popular midpriced vodkas and tequilas? Entirely gone. “I’m doubling up on the Baileys Irish Cream shelf to make it look full,” Ms. Hoefner said.

The shortage is temporary. At midnight on June 1, the alcohol spigot will be turned back on with a jolt as retailers that were long barred from the liquor trade, including large grocery stores, will be allowed to stock their shelves with higher-proof beverages, and state-owned stores that were sold at auction turn their lights back on under new ownership. Wine and beer sales were unaffected by the change, called Initiative 1183, and are already allowed to be sold in most shops.

But for three days this week, the system in transition will be shaken and stirred, with all but 35 of the state’s 331 liquor stores, which serve a population of 6.8 million, going dark.

“I imagine there will be places where people will have a drive,” said Mikhail Carpenter, a spokesman for the Washington State Liquor Control Board. “There was an aggressive schedule for us to be out of the liquor business,” he added. “It comes down to a question of manpower and scheduling.”

NY Times

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#34 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

It's interesting to look at the buyers of the existing liquor stores.

The state auctioned off rights to own and operate 167 stores. Those rights came with no leases and no promise of a liquor license.
26 buyers are from out of state.
8 buyers are from Canada.

People with the most stores and total of bids:
Kulbir Singh = 9 stores, $1,450,800 (of Brazil, Indiana)
Sung Lee Kim = 5 stores, $1,371,950.10
Michael Cho = 4 stores, $703,600
Parveen Sidhu = 3 stores, $910,400
Hardial Gill = 3 stores, $710,300
Jeffrey Roh = 3 stores, $556,060
Abi Eshagi = 3 stores, $356,000

18 buyers tied with 2 stores

Jashir Singh bought store #2, which is down the street from me, for $475,000. The state emptied out the store's inventory over a month ago and there's a huge "for lease" sign on it. I guess the building owner doesn't want a liquor store there? He'll need to find a >10,000 sq ft commercial space within one mile of the original store, which shouldn't be hard to do in downtown Seattle.

Also, QFC is enforcing contracts at some of its locations that prohibit private liquor stores from operating in the same shopping centers, according to real-estate brokers involved in two local deals, one in Issaquah and the other in Kirkland.

We'll be paying more at the pump.

#35 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

The state shut down the web page that had a list of liquor stores.

http://liq.wa.gov/st...es-and-products

And I can't find a page that lists the stores selling liquor. It shouldn't be too hard to grep the list of businesses that have been approved and put it on a page.

So, I just spent the last three hours walking around town to see who is dealing and who isn't. I went from Pioneer Square to Denny Way and from the waterfront to I-5. I might have missed a few but here's a list if you happen to live/work in the area.

Stores Selling Liquor in Downtown Seattle as of June 1, 2012
Bartell's at 3rd and Union
Bartell's at 4th and Madison
Bartell's at 5th and Olive Way
Rite-Aid at 3rd and Vine
Kress IGA Grocery at 3rd and Pike
Walgreens at 3rd and Pike*
Walgreens at 6th and Denny Way*

Those Notably Not Selling Liqour
Existing Liquor Store at 2nd and Seneca is closed and empty
Existing Liquor Store at 7th and Bell is closed and empty
Rite-Aid at 3rd and Columbia due to their proximity to Pioneer Square
Whole Foods at Westlake and Denny Way; regional manager to review decision in October

*Walgreens is really conservative with their selection. They have a section just 4 feet wide.

#36 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,201 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

The state shut down the web page that had a list of liquor stores.

http://liq.wa.gov/st...es-and-products

And I can't find a page that lists the stores selling liquor. It shouldn't be too hard to grep the list of businesses that have been approved and put it on a page.

So, I just spent the last three hours walking around town to see who is dealing and who isn't. I went from Pioneer Square to Denny Way and from the waterfront to I-5. I might have missed a few but here's a list if you happen to live/work in the area.

Stores Selling Liquor in Downtown Seattle as of June 1, 2012
Bartell's at 3rd and Union
Bartell's at 4th and Madison
Bartell's at 5th and Olive Way
Rite-Aid at 3rd and Vine
Kress IGA Grocery at 3rd and Pike
Walgreens at 3rd and Pike*
Walgreens at 6th and Denny Way*

Those Notably Not Selling Liqour
Existing Liquor Store at 2nd and Seneca is closed and empty
Existing Liquor Store at 7th and Bell is closed and empty
Rite-Aid at 3rd and Columbia due to their proximity to Pioneer Square
Whole Foods at Westlake and Denny Way; regional manager to review decision in October

*Walgreens is really conservative with their selection. They have a section just 4 feet wide.

I nominate you for the MouthfulsFood award in the category of service above and beyond the call of duty

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#37 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

So now that the Great Liquor Apocalypse has mostly settled down, where are folks buying their liquor? Any great finds, special selections etc?
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#38 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

It's turned my world upside down. Still not buying liquour. :shrug:

I find it amusing that almost none of the benefits that the pro folks touted and almost none of the negatives that the anti folks warned of have actually come true.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#39 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

I find it amusing that almost none of the benefits that the pro folks touted and almost none of the negatives that the anti folks warned of have actually come true.

I have to disagree. One of the main benefits was having access to things we couldn't get before, and we absolutely have that. The prices will shake out in the long run.

We buy most of our obscure stuff at Wine World. The regular stuff at either Wine World or the old State liquor store down the street. Paul still buys the most used items from California.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#40 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

I have to disagree. One of the main benefits was having access to things we couldn't get before, and we absolutely have that. The prices will shake out in the long run.

We buy most of our obscure stuff at Wine World. The regular stuff at either Wine World or the old State liquor store down the street. Paul still buys the most used items from California.

You're buying used booze from California? :blink:

Haven't been to Wine World, but I've heard consistent complaints that selection hasn't improved. Most retailers are focusing on the mainstream brands and the law preventing smaller stores from carrying booze means no specialty/boutique-y kinds of places are going to emerge.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#41 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

The Bad:

The price has definitely gone up. I mean, it hasn't created any slack in my purchases, but it is a fact.

My liquor store didn't turn into a liquor store due to fear that the QFC across the street would be too much competition. Sadly, that little closet QFC responded with is ridiculous.

The Good:

I'll concur that Wine World has a pretty good selection. Also? The lower Queen Anne Metropolitan Market has a GREAT selection including local/NW distilleries.

-croseattle

#42 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

The Bad:

The price has definitely gone up. I mean, it hasn't created any slack in my purchases, but it is a fact.

My liquor store didn't turn into a liquor store due to fear that the QFC across the street would be too much competition. Sadly, that little closet QFC responded with is ridiculous.

The Good:

I'll concur that Wine World has a pretty good selection. Also? The lower Queen Anne Metropolitan Market has a GREAT selection including local/NW distilleries.

-croseattle

AND I happen to have very good knowledge that the Metropolitan Market is not just happy to take requests, but is actively hoping to get people to bring requests in to offer a better array.

Seriously, kids. We're trying to do it, make any request, if we can get it, we will.

#43 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

We were over on Bainbridge a couple of weekends ago and tried the Bainbridge Organics Doug Fir Gin. We liked it and decided to stop by the distillery to buy a bottle. It was $36 "out the door price" per bottle. Evidently distilleries don't have to charge the distributor and bottle taxes. The "out the door price" at Metropolitan Market was $50. So I guess the lesson here is to buy direct from the distillery when possible.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#44 girl chow

girl chow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have not read this entire thread, which on the interwebz means that I am perfectly qualified to just spout off whatever I want. I have only bought a few bottles since deregulation, but I have to say that I hate that stores add the 4,879 taxes we have to pay at the register. It makes sense that they do that because, well, everything else sold in the store has tax added at the POS, not before, but I still suffer sticker shock every time. I just want to yell, "WHY IS THIS BOTTLE $400 when you advertised it as 99 cents on the liquor aisle???" That is all.

#45 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

I have not read this entire thread, which on the interwebz means that I am perfectly qualified to just spout off whatever I want. I have only bought a few bottles since deregulation, but I have to say that I hate that stores add the 4,879 taxes we have to pay at the register. It makes sense that they do that because, well, everything else sold in the store has tax added at the POS, not before, but I still suffer sticker shock every time. I just want to yell, "WHY IS THIS BOTTLE $400 when you advertised it as 99 cents on the liquor aisle???" That is all.

girl chow - how I've missed you!