42 replies to this topic

#16 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

he says the staff is really good about making sure you don't overcook things when you're drunk.

he does tip well, I'm sure that helps.

#17 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Holy cow. Just tried to go do a walk in - 1h45 minute wait. People its grilled meat. Its good really I promise - but I can drive to Mitsuwa and back, cook the meal, and do the dishes in that amount of time.

And there you have it - the advantages and disadvantages of living on the west side.
I never said that

#18 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Amusing review by Ryan Sutton.

I keep seeing that raw beef topped with uni, and it does look good.

#19 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

I am going to have to walk in one day at around 5:30, which fortunately is not difficult for me to do, as I work in the area.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#20 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I suspect they often don't open at the time they say they do - just FYI - call ahead before you try a 5:30 walk in
Why not mayo?

#21 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Is Sutton the last person on earth to say American Kobe? and how does he get away with this:

Sure, there are other Korean and Japanese barbecue restaurants around town. What makes Takashi special are the sustainably-sourced cattle and the electric grilling. The absence of charcoal results in cleaner flavors and easier breathing.

Sure, there are literally hundreds of yakiniku horumon joints around town (even one more in manhattan?), making wagyu this fat is very sustainable, and the absence of charcoal is somehow an advantage Posted ImagePosted Image

Still sounds like a really good place, but difficult to use if you don't live nearby.
I never said that

#22 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Is Sutton the last person on earth to say American Kobe? and how does he get away with this:

Sure, there are other Korean and Japanese barbecue restaurants around town. What makes Takashi special are the sustainably-sourced cattle and the electric grilling. The absence of charcoal results in cleaner flavors and easier breathing.

Sure, there are literally hundreds of yakiniku horumon joints around town (even one more in manhattan?), making wagyu this fat is very sustainable, and the absence of charcoal is somehow an advantage Posted ImagePosted Image

Still sounds like a really good place, but difficult to use if you don't live nearby.

Outside of NY and probably CA, you'll find that everyone still uses "Kobe" with reference to American Wagyu (that includes both the restauranteurs and the food media). But certainly Sutton should know better.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

he does review for Bloomberg Mag - the demographic that loves "Kobe sliders, bro"
Why not mayo?

#24 irnscrabblechf52

irnscrabblechf52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:58 AM

walked in with my brother tonight at 6:30 (after my last final)--no wait.

they didn't get a liver delivery this week apparently, which was disappointing.

started with nama-senmai (third stomach in spicy miso sauce) instead. crunchy, chewy, pretty strong stomach funk which i really like.

also had niku-uni (chuck flap topped with sea urchin and fresh wasabi)--this was quite good but definitely overhyped. the chuck flap texture didn't jive well with the uni for me, and I thought that the uni actually blew out the beef flavor.

on to the grill. tan-saki, tan-suji and tan-moto, aka the tongue experience. i prefer pork tongue to beef tongue, but it was still a fun learning 'experience.'

harami (outside skirt)--this was ridiculously delicious. easily justified the entire dinner. super tender and beautiful fat streaking through each slice
Immortal space traveler.

#25 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

At the Pink Pig, a write-up and photos of a meal recently enjoyed with a bevy of experts.

A few things I really liked. The overall arc of the meal, in terms of service, quantity and quality of food, didn't make me want to rush back.

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,264 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Adrian and L will really appreciate the "grizzled."
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

It was aimed at Sivan, mainly.

#28 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

That was a little more negative than I expected. Tho can't say I disagree with much. The company was very pleasant and the andouillette tragically undercooked.
Why not mayo?

#29 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

I agree, in the sense that because it was a pleasant evening, I didn't really focus on he shortcomings of the meal at the time. But it really wasn't much more than half good; some things were very disappointing, and if we hadn't had a forum for conversation, I think the service delay would have been very depressing. Seated at 9, main dishes came out at 10.30.

#30 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

It's hard to explain a 90-minute wait for food, when the cooking is left up to the diner.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal