3 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Saw these at the New Amsterdam market and dismissed them out of hand - but then discovered that actually there are heirloom varieties. So now my question is - has anyone tried them, and were they worth it?
Why not mayo?

#2 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

We're pretty close ground zero of commercial cranberry production in the Midwest (Tomah, WI area) so our growing conditions should be decent but I have never seen heirloom cranberries in the stores or at farmers markets.

Occasionally we see wild highbush cranberries which, curiously, aren't cranberries. But they do look and taste fairly similar.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,358 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

those are not for eating they are used for making winter quilts

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,915 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

I think what I bought last year are heirloom. Even more so now that they've been in my freezer for about 11 months.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table