#2 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

I knew that the results were released when I saw this post from Grant Achatz:

Not going to lie... We have ripped through some 1985 Krug today...

• • • Edsel • • •
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#3 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

And what's up with L2O? Is Gras really gone? I wonder how the Michelin inspectors feel about that...

First Chicago Michelin guide stars 23 eateries

Michelin worldwide director Jean-Luc Naret said he managed to reach L2O's apparently now-former chef Laurent Gras -- who left the restaurant mysteriously early this month -- by phone Tuesday to give him the good news. But Rich Melman -- whose Lettuce Entertain You chain owns L20, at 2300 N. Lincoln Park West, and also Michelin one-star winners Everest and Tru -- couldn't.

"I called Laurent about an hour and a half ago and left a message," said Melman.

He said Gras told him about three months ago he wanted out for personal reasons and that he told Gras to take some time and think through things.

• • • Edsel • • •
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

The article I read said Gras was taking an indefinite leave of absence. They don't know if he'll be back, but hope for the best, be prepared for the worst. He's been gone for a while already, and it seems the restaurant is in good hands.

While Gras is away, his kitchen duties will be covered by a number of chefs. One of them is Francis Brennan, who has been Gras’s chef de cuisine at L2O for some time. Another is Doug Psaltis, the chef formerly at New York’s Country, who has been working in the Lettuce Lab on Paris Club. A third chef, Jeff Mahin, will also help cover for Gras. Mahin, who is a mere 27 years old, “is going to be a superstar,” Melman says. He has a “wonderful way with sushi.”

Read more: http://www3.timeoutn.../#ixzz15ZATK7tz

#5 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

The Schwa gang has to be pumped as well. One Michelin star for a joint that has no bar, no hostess, no wine, no wait staff, no reservation system? kudos to them.

#6 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,165 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:15 PM

The article I read said Gras was taking an indefinite leave of absence. They don't know if he'll be back, but hope for the best, be prepared for the worst. He's been gone for a while already, and it seems the restaurant is in good hands.

While Gras is away, his kitchen duties will be covered by a number of chefs. One of them is Francis Brennan, who has been Gras’s chef de cuisine at L2O for some time. Another is Doug Psaltis, the chef formerly at New York’s Country, who has been working in the Lettuce Lab on Paris Club. A third chef, Jeff Mahin, will also help cover for Gras. Mahin, who is a mere 27 years old, “is going to be a superstar,” Melman says. He has a “wonderful way with sushi.”

Read more: http://www3.timeoutn.../#ixzz15ZATK7tz

Gras is moving back to NYC. And has something in the works here. Just broken by F&W, picked up by Eater.

Lucky us.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,921 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'll bet the slider joint he's going to open will be fantastic.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,921 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

I have nothing but love for the guy as a guy, but 25 years ago, if you had told me that Michelin was going to give stars in America, and that a Rich Melman restaurant would be one of the three-stars, I am positive I would not have believed you.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

I'll bet the slider joint he's going to open will be fantastic.

How right you are: http://dinersjournal...-a-casual-turn/
Can we start betting odds? Sliders? Fried chicken? Tacos?

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,257 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

I have reasons to imagine he's already found the space and that it's not going to be anything to get very excited about.
I never said that

#11 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

How about BLG Tacos?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#12 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

The Schwa gang has to be pumped as well. One Michelin star for a joint that has no bar, no hostess, no wine, no wait staff, no reservation system? kudos to them.

oh yeah . . . and no bread.

#13 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Two-Michelin starred Charlie Trotter's will be closing in August

http://dinersjournal...ing-in-chicago/

Mr. Trotter told The Sun-Times that the restaurant was not closing for financial reasons. A take-out restaurant, Trotter’s To Go, will remain open, he said, and he plans to start another restaurant after what he described as his sabbatical.

He told the newspaper that he had been accepted to graduate programs at schools in Chicago and California to study philosophy and political theory.

“I just had to put the flag in the sand and say I’ve got to go for this,” he told the newspaper.