104 replies to this topic

#61 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

Chambo is right on the money wrt espresso in Paris.
I never said that

#62 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

Thank goodness for that. Now, in one sentence what was that?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#63 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Thank goodness for that. Now, in one sentence what was that?

The old school Parisian roasters (Malongo, etc.) all suck. They may be somewhat better than generic Parisian cafe dreck, but not by much. It's an interesting twist in the plot that the best espresso shops in Europe are looking at the US and Australia for inspiration, a twist that requires a lot of good old French chauvinism to ignore (no offense, Ptipois).
I never said that

#64 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Chambo's coffee-tasting union is now officially entering into collective bargaining negotiations with mouthfuls middle mgmt.

We demand to have our grievances heard by the French press.

We demand better wages. Wages that are reflective of a meritocracy and not mere seniority.

We demand better some health insurance. Especially pertaining to cardiac arrest due to over-caffeination.

We demand bonuses that are not simply multiplicative, but involve true fixed amounts that are additive, but not addictive.

We have many more demands. They will be coming in due course, of course. That's how the process works.

#65 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

another article about coffee in Paris

in short:

Superior coffee in Paris:

Coutume Café, 47 rue de Babylone, 7th

KB Café Shop, 62 rue des Martyrs, 9th

Le Bal Café, 6 impasse de la Défense, 18th

La Caféothèque, 52 rue de l'Hôtel de Ville, 4th

Sugarplum Cake Shop, 68 rue du Cardinal Lemoine, 5th

#66 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Télescope is quite good. Espresso from a LM Linea, and good pourover as well with the Kalita Wave and an Uber boiler.

#67 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

That would be Telescope, rue Villedo, David Flynn's new place whose name I was not at liberty to disclose once upon a time.

Due to collective bargaining restraints, as briefly hinted at above, our coffee-tasting union opted not to report on the Flynn-ster's opening a few months back.

There are still such restraints in place. This post is merely a union negotiating tactic and NOT a resumption of any formal work activities.

Oh, by the way, did you all know that Cafeotheque has more than doubled in size ! They continue to use their original space but they blew out part of their eastern wall and have now expanded into the space that was just east of them. They could benefit by hiring an interior decorator, me thinks. The orig space was nice and clubby and cozy. The expansion space needs to improve. Lots more seating though. Not sure if that's a good thing or not ...

Reading upthread, Sugarplum Cake Shop, a new kid on the block, uses Lomi's beans as does KB Cafe Shop, who is NOT new. Chambo has indeed reported on KB Cafe, but not under that specific name.

"Why hasn't Chambo reported using that exact name ?", you ask.

Because KooKa BooRa was sued by another similarly-named company and they were forced to change their name.

I have a seriously bitter story that I'll tell you all about how Chambo was right in the thick of things as the high stakes legal battle was underway at the end of 2011. I was sequestered off in a corner of the coffee shop with KB's owner and trying to help him mount an offensive strategy to overcome his legal predicament. The brainstorming was fast and furious with freely-flowing, highly-caffeinated cappuccinos coming Chambo's way. I was in my element with my thinking cap attached and I was brainstorming up a storm and I was spinning stories and laying out plans that, with time, would lead to total global domination of the coffee business. But, sadly, Nicolas (KB's owner) wasn't able to see over the horizon and deep into the future. He was just trying to stay afloat and survive the legal onslaught. I was merely demanding a small % of his business for my ideas and my business acumen but Nicolas proved to be indecisive and not a real, risk-taking entrepreneur who was ready to pound his chest and conquer the world. It's such a shame that he went with the lame name of KB Cafe Shop when Chambo was selling his vision of changing the name from KooKa BooRa to Koka BooRa or, better yet, Kooka Kola. I was trying to explain to him that with a catchy and compelling name like that he had the potential to build a dominant, multinational coffee empire. I'd work with him to seemlessly manage the transition of the brand name and expand the business in France and internationally. I envisioned that we'd wind up selling out to The Coca Cola Company for multiple billions of bananas in a decade or so as Coca Cola battled to fight off a global hot liquids competitor aka Starbucks. The operational and marketing synergies of melding Kooka Kola's operations into Coca Cola would prove to be so clearly compelling that it would be a slam dunk future acquisition. Given my existing relationships with the ownership of Le Bal, Coutume, Cafeotheque, etc., we would aggressively pursue our own acquistion strategy, followed by warp-speed expansion. I figured that we would own the French market within 12 months. Chambo Enterprises would put up the capital to get the job done. My small % would turn into a non-small %. Whatever. It didn't happen. Now his joint is called KB Cafe Shop. Yeah, like that's going to rule the world ! Zero chance. A totally true story. Next time you're in KB Cafe ask Nicolas about the total nutjob who was trying to convince him to change his name as described above. (KB Cafe Shop ! Can you believe that name ! Geesh !! Sounds like KB Toys, don't it ? A whole lotta success KB Toys had ... He would have been better off calling his place Kooky Chambo Cafe shop ...)

You want to hear something sick though ... when I hightailed it out of Paris at the end of 2011, Kooka BooRa was making the BEST and MOST CONSISTENT cappuccinos in the city, bar none. I became convinced that Le Bal's quality went down when they changed both their beans (away from Lomi cuz they were too expensive) and their milk (due to quality issues with their Normandy producer).

That said, Flynn's little joint is pretty darn serious too. Milk from Normandy. Remember when I told you all about his Has Been beans. Well, they are still kinda sorta in the picture but today he was brewing with "guest beans" from Square Mile coffee roasters (from London, of all places). Flynn told me that he is now rotating in "guest beans" from various high-quality roasters who meet his approval. Flynn also buys green beans and does his own roasting (using Coutume's roasting facilities).

On the eve of Bastille Day 2012, the formerly baby-faced Flynn-ster is now sporting a pretty stylish mustachio , don't ya think ...

Posted Image

#68 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I don't know if it's Chambo's, but if it is Chambo's then surely Chambo should know better than to rest Chambo's umbrella on the countertop.

#69 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Chambo's lawyer: Your honor, we move for immediate summary judgement and we move to counter sue for slander, defamation of character and all legal fees.

Judge: On what grounds !

Chambo's lawyer: Your honor, The Honorable Chambolle is a high-profile public figure who has built a hard-earned reputation for tact, good manners and a general savoir faire in all worldly matters, including coffee bar etiquette. There is pretty much a 0.00% chance that the half-assed, half-masted ugly umbrella seen in the picture is my client's. Regardless of the "iffyness" of mr. foodie's provocation, it is absolutely clear that the intent was to destroy The Honorable Chambolle's standing with his public by insinuating that Chambo is ill-mannered and unfit for higher office. Tactics like this are a total Obama-nation of civil public discourse and the reason why our country cannot find people other than inexperienced lawyers to partake in the political process.

Judge: :blink: Huh ? :blink:

Chambo's lawyer: What I'm trying to say your honor is that unbecoming umbrella seen in the Telescope photo is not my client's.

Judge: Can you offer this court any proof of that ?

Chambo's lawyer: Your honor, allow me to present Exhibit A into the record :

Posted Image

The Lanvin bag confirms that this is a Paris picture. The Cucinelli bag confirms that Chambolle is a man of exquisite taste. The Cafeotheque bag confirms that these are indeed the Honorable Chambolle's possesions as he is on record as having been there recently. The da Rosa bag adds further reinforcement of these points. And the Henri Le Roux bag is pretty much just piling on. So therefore, your esteemed honor, the pictured umbrella must unambiguously also be Chambo's !

Judge: Where on this site is there any prior art to confirm that Chambolle has a connection with Henri Le Roux ? And what's so great about M. Le Roux anyway ?

Chambo's lawyer: The caramels, your honor. Made with beurre au sel. They kinda work reasonably nicely with a hot cappuccino.

Judge: Hey, thanks for the tip ... But those possesions could quite easily be anybody's possessions. Anyone with fine taste, that is. Is that the extent of your entire case ? It seems fairly flimsy to me.

Chambo's lawyer: Your honor, allow me to present Exhibit B into the record :

Posted Image

Your honor, what other freak of nature other than the Honorable Chambolle would actually lug a bag of over-roasted Starbucks Guatemalan coffee for the express purpose of comparing it side-by-side, head-to-head against Cafeotheque beans ?

Judge (thinking to himself) : Reasonably convincing :huh:

Chambo's lawyer: And further, your honor, please do notice that the Honorable Chambolle's eggs are indeed "oeufs frais de poules elevées en plein air". Does that ring a bell, your honor ? I insist that the court finds that my client has been unfairly slandered and allows our countersuit to proceed with speed.

Judge: Move for summary judgement approved. The defendant is due all legal cost to date. The counter suit is accepted and will proceed tomorrow.

#70 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Don't mess with CHAMBO ! ! !

P.S. Hey Orik, what are you talking about that I have no ability to take criticism ?

#71 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

By the by, I went to Sugarplum Cake Shop today.

Cute little place, inside seating, a couple of outside tables, wifi gratuit, they make a pretty good cap, mostly young kids (mainly gals) in there - behind the counter and as customers. A solid choice if in the neighborhood. Cafe Lomi beans. They make a better cap than Cafe de la Nouvelle Marie that is in the same general area. A reasonable addition to the list, but I'm not too sure how serious they are about their coffee. Only time will tell. A perfectly reasonable place to plop yourself down for a bit if your legs are tired. Some tall American-looking cakes in there - but that's not really Chambo's sort of thing.

http://sugarplumcakeshop.com/en/

#72 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

K(ooka) B(oora) is excellent, really. And Cafeotheque, quadrupled in size, with each room offering a differently incoherent design theme, remains inconsistent but with very high highs. Haven't been to Coutume yet. Also read about some place called Black Market, but I'm a bit skeptical.

I never said that

#73 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

K(ooka) B(oora) is excellent, really. And Cafeotheque, quadrupled in size, with each room offering a differently incoherent design theme, remains inconsistent but with very high highs. Haven't been to Coutume yet. Also read about some place called Black Market, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Coutume was meh at best. It's a nice shop, but our espressos (espressi?) were pulled too long, too sour, too bad. Maybe their other offerings are better (siphon, drip, etc.) - they had some nice coffees to offer.

But it was worth it as we enjoyed watching the interaction between the "barista" and the single, gorgeous server (there was none), who showed a sort of look of contempt every time a customer walked in, though we got her to smile. And the barista made a show of moving all the cups on top of the espresso machine from one side to the other (making a ton of noise in the process) and then, for some reason, moving them all back and making all that noise again. I coulda been in Brooklyn.

#74 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,798 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Ten Belles (on 10 rue de la Grange aux Belles) - everything about it is so mockable by our mob of angry boomers (the chairs seem to have been assembled by a mad hatter, there was a sharp smell of turnips in the shop that turned out to be a yellow carrot soup, they seem to occasionally do stuff like pigs in a blanket), but the capuch is excellent (a bit mocha, a bit wet, but not too much, next time I'm going espresso)

Some pictures and beards here:

http://hipparis.com/2012/09/28/ten-belles-paris-coffee-pros-strike-again-by-the-canal-st-martin/

Sipping on my delicious cappuccino, I mused happily over the American touches that I found throughout the café: the rock music that played from an iPod, the tip jar with a sign made out of a dollar bill, the option to have one’s coffee to stay or to go (sur place ou à emporter), not to mention the hot dog on the menu.

I never said that

#75 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, I was going to mention them but I'm still technically on strike. :( It's been a tough time to be in a union, ya know.

Ten Belles is Thomas Lehoux working with the gals from Le Bal. Adrian Moore gets credit for blogging it a couple of months ago.

There's also Cafe Craft on Vinegar Makers Street in that general Canal St Martin area. They're using Lomi beans.

I've had inconsistent results at both. I lack sufficient data to make an appropriate call in either direction.

My experience has been that Kooka Boora is the best. Kooka Boora kicks butts consistently. I'm talking cappuccinos. Never had anything but very good or better results there. And it's a v cool spot too.

I'll betcha Cafeotheque don't use no UHT milk or sugar-added-torrefactionized beans, do they?

Mayoral advice to American visitors in Paris : Be very careful about betting with Chambo !

As Chambo previously wrote, Cafeotheque had indeed switched to UHT milk due to quality problems with their Normandy milk source. Since then, they have bounced back and forth between types of milk. It's hard to get a clear answer from them because they know they shouldn't be using UHT milk but they were and may still be ... depending upon the day.