15 replies to this topic

#1 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

I don't usually have a problem finishing up Thanksgiving leftovers. The exception is cranberry relish, which usually ends up in the trash after a couple of weeks. So. How can I repurpose all that cranberry sauce?
Andrew Fenton

#2 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

I very recently saw a recipe that used cranberry sauce in muffins. I will search and get back to you.

http://www.seriousea...ce_muffins.html is one recipe (not the one I saw, but it looks good).

http://www.joyofbaki...ownMuffins.html is a recipe for upside down muffins. The recipe for cranberry sauce uses less sugar than a regular cranberry sauce recipe, but I think whatever you have would work fine, too.

#3 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

Ah, very good! This sauce is a little spicy, which might make an interesting muffin.

A lady on the radio just suggested flatbread pizza with cranberry sauce and goat cheese. That'd go well with turkey soup, round about Sunday night.
Andrew Fenton

#4 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

I once made some outrageously delicious grilled cheese sandwiches with gorgonzola dolce and leftover cranberry sauce.

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

You can always call it jam and spread it on toast. It's great with cream cheese.

#6 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

lippy, does your cranberry relish freeze well?

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,965 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

I've never frozen it, so I don't know. I guess it could be frozen, but I suspect that much of the bright freshness would be lost and that is its charm, I think.

#8 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

I once made some outrageously delicious grilled cheese sandwiches with gorgonzola dolce and leftover cranberry sauce.

Ooh. This.
Andrew Fenton

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

Over ice cream? One of my favorite brands of ice cream sauces is Toad Sweat -- all sweet and spicy, like chocolate-orange-chipotle, iirc.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,992 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

has to be something you can do with vodka
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#11 Jaymes

Jaymes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Cranberry Bread

The Voice of America

#12 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

Whenever I make chicken salad or tuna salad sandwiches, I mix in some cranberry sauce. I like the sweet and tangy touch it gives them.

I ditto grilled cheese with cranberry sauce! Also that baked camembert or brie wrapped in phyllo or puff pastry is really great with a layer of cranberry sauce in lieu of hot pepper jelly.

#13 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

I always freeze mine. In fact, I have a batch leftover from Thanksgiving in the freezer right now. Then, whenever I have chicken or anything else that requires cranberry sauce, I have some.

#14 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,697 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

might make a nice alcoholic smoothie with ice cream or fro yo

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#15 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Ooh. This.

Any kind of sweet relish or chutney is great with a sharp cheese like an an aged cheddar for a grilled cheese sandwich. When melted with the turkey makes a fantastic panini, actually.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos