Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

Tirol, Austria

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#32 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

We are in the midst of another snow storm. It doesn't look as pretty as Tirol around here but I'm pretty happy that we seem to be in a weather pattern that is getting us snow refreshes every 10 days or so.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#33 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,600 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Wow, beautiful shots. :)

I'm a little jealous . . . until I remember that within one day here it would all be gray, the street corners would be filled with icy slush, the sidewalks iced over, busses would send dirty snow flying in my face, and I'd be afraid to set foot outside. :lol:

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#34 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

And I noticed this morning that the conditions at Alta, UT, where I will be going for my annual pilgrimage in January, are spectacular. They are in the midst of a serious snowfall.

Current Snowfall Information
Past 12 hrs : 16" (41cm)
Past 24 hrs : 25" (64cm)
Storm total : 33" (84cm)
This season : 197" (500cm)

Today's Picture of the Day
Posted Image
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#35 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

I'm a little jealous . . . until I remember that within one day here it would all be gray, the street corners would be filled with icy slush, the sidewalks iced over, busses would send dirty snow flying in my face, and I'd be afraid to set foot outside. :lol:

Yeah, that's kind of what Munich looks like right now.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#36 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

And I noticed this morning that the conditions at Alta, UT, where I will be going for my annual pilgrimage in January, are spectacular. They are in the midst of a serious snowfall.

Current Snowfall Information
Past 12 hrs : 16" (41cm)
Past 24 hrs : 25" (64cm)
Storm total : 33" (84cm)
This season : 197" (500cm)

Today's Picture of the Day
Posted Image

The Sierra Nevada have been hammered as well. Tahoe has received 9 feet of snow at the 7,000 foot level in the past weekend. Mammoth Mountain got about 35 inches in the past weekend, and 10 feet of snow in the past two weeks. The Mammoth report is a just a few inches shy of their snowiest December on record.

Several roads have been caused due to avalanche risk, and chains are required in all of the Sierra now. Good skiing weather if you can get to the slopes...

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#37 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,600 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

So we finally got snow. Lots of it (for us), with lots of wind to blow it into mountainous dunes. We went out a little while ago to admire it in City Hall Park. It was indeed beautiful.

Now that I'm back inside, I'm not going out again until it's all gone. :lol:

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

#38 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Crossposted from Annoyances

Posted Image
BlondieNY.com

#39 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,068 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

Now that I'm back inside, I'm not going out again until it's all gone. :lol:

Exactly. I put off stuff yesterday and am wondering if I can put it off again today.

#40 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

T is currently walking around the theatre district (at Shake Shack for lunch) in that snow. We're true Vancouverites and don't own boots...so of course, he is walking around in his older shoes that absolutely no traction and he's already slipped once. After lunch they are heading back to the hotel to hide from the snow. He says the wind is just brutal. You have no idea what weather like this does to us wussy west coasters. We don't know how to handle it all. It certainly does look pretty though.

#41 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

We had about two feet of snow, blowing into drifts about four feet deep. It was lovely to contemplate, but tough to manage.

Although the snow was light and powdery, the winds would blow it right back where it came from. Fortunately the snow blower threw it a good distance, and compacted it in the process.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#42 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

sorry to hear everyone in NY is snowed in. no idea when we'll be able to get back but in no rush :lol:
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#43 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,600 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

Florida, right? <_<

#44 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
BlondieNY.com

#45 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:33 PM

I have never seen it this bad. The side streets are virtually impassable. This is 94th and Broadway.

Posted Image

W.12th wasn't open to cars either
Posted Image

And here's W. 12th looking westward
%3Ca%20href=Posted Image
Future Legacy Participant.