#1 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Anyone been to this place? Brooklyn Fare in GQ

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

We do have some reports, but perhaps not a separate thread for it. The search engine won't find them, of course.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,247 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

Actually, as I remember it, we have people saying they've been but NOT posting reports.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

Actually, as I remember it, we have people saying they've been but NOT posting reports.

The nerve!
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#5 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

guilty as charged. fun but long night (4+ hrs?), 20+ little bites (tons of canapés, Bouley-style), some very elaborate, most very good to delicious. mainly fish and seafood. something vaguely controversial around the counter, testicles, maybe? the menu only lists the main ingredient so not very conducive. was a great deal at, iirc, $90 at the time (and byo). Brooklyn Heights Chateau delivers there, which was great as we ran out of wine and sake after the first couple of hours. going again in January but i wouldn't want to get anyone's hopes up for a detailed report :lol:

you can find some very detailed reports online though (some older ones with pix even)
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

something vaguely controversial around the counter, testicles, maybe

That makes it sound like a feminist-separatist operation. :lol::)

#7 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

something vaguely controversial around the counter, testicles, maybe

That makes it sound like a feminist-separatist operation. :lol::)

:lol:

the chef was very coy and refused to name the surprise ingredient until everyone ate the dish. pretty obvious, no?
gasps around the counter followed.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,247 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

I'm not going to tell my Astoria sheep testicle story again.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

Went last evening. Estimate 18-20 courses.

No need to bore everyone with the details, you must experience this yourself.

IMO, it rivals WD-50 and Stone Barns as the best restaurant in metro NYC. At a $135 price point with a no corkage fee BYOB, it may be a notch better.

Words cannot describe - just let your tastebuds speak for themselves. It doesn't get better than this.

...and it's not precious at all.

One must mention course - just think octopus and hearts of palm, multiply by factor 16. That might come close.

#10 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

yes, that octopus was killer both in terms of texture and flavor, also the egg with black truffle, the king salmon with caviar (and smoking gun!). lots of beautiful little dishes, lovely presentation.

the wagyu, on the other hand, was the weakest plate and rather unnecessary. i imagine it's there to satisfy carnivores with something meaty but it's just not as good or interesting as the other dishes. you don't go there if you don't like seafood, period.

last night was even better than our first meal there. i look forward to going back for a spring menu.

#11 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

And I found a place that has more china than me (and different types).

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,504 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Question for nux, who apparently been more than once: how much overlap was there in menus? Did he serve 20 totally different dishes every time? or were variations, say, subbing a different protein in basically the same presentation?

BTW: was the beef dish "Wagyū Beef a la Plancha with Truffle Purée and Ponzu Dressing"? If you decide that it's worth trying to make yourself, the recipe will be in issue 99 of Art Culinaire, along with a few other of his recipes.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#13 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

very little overlap, more just the ingredients used (different types of fish/seafood). and mostly in the 12+ canapes* - both meals started with butternut squash soup but each was topped with a different foam. an oyster and also a cod fritter with were served both times. the main menu was completely different

* there were fewer canapes (and courses) last time

#14 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Outlandish, stunning, marvelous, over-the-top and most satisfying dinner last night. Of the 20 courses, only two were the same from our dinner five weeks ago.

Without reservation, in my opinion, the best restaurant in metro New York - by far.

Words cannot do BF justice. Friendly, warm, congenial and comfortable. It's like eating with your best friend.

#15 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

In case anyone cares, after about 30 minutes worth of re-dialing (busy signal), then about 10 minutes on hold (a pretty bizarre part - you get through, then for about 10 minutes people pick up the phone, you tell them you want a reservation, and they say "ok, please hold") and when I got through had my choice of Tuesday through Friday, varying from 6:30 to 9:45. Not too bad.

Also in case you don't know, to get a reservation, you have to call Monday starting 10:30AM - 718-243-0050.