144 replies to this topic

#136 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

i sympathize .. these people just want to live the kind of live that anyone can live for $25k per year in northeast indiana where i grew up

ABCDEFGHIJKLNMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

bob marleycorn must die 

this food left intentionally bland

and i swear that i don't have a pun

originality is a bitter

#137 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

It's true those people are just the salt of the earth, just struggling to send their kids to the kent school and poly prep
Why not mayo?

#138 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

I had to keep scrolling up to confirm that it was not an Onion article.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#139 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

NYT: Sales at Sit-Down Restaurants Suggest a Rising Economy

One caveat of the article is that they do not distinguish Le Bernardin and Red Lobster: both are considered "sit-down restaurants" for statistical purposes.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#140 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Wait I thought this thread was about the high(ish)-end restaurant recovery in NYC? I have a hard time seeing a nationwide index of Applebee's sales as being a meaningful indicator of that. Certainly the economy in the US has been improving - I don't think anyone has argued about that.

Ooh lookie what I said 15 months ago

And to restate things once again - I am not unoptimistic about about the economy, certainly not for the nation as a whole - I am admittedly less sanguine about the NY area just given the large % of GDP that comes from the Financial Service industry but certainly for many people things will get better - and I would appreciate it if you would remember that before you claim I said things I never said.

My assertion is, and has always been, that the entire high end of NYC - whether it be restaurants, luxury goods, or Real Estate is unsustainable and has more declines in demand ahead of it. I don't think places like, well Cabrito or Fatty Crab are in this category.

Why not mayo?

#141 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Wait I thought this thread was about the high(ish)-end restaurant recovery in NYC?

I just didn't see the need to start a separate thread for that. You would have had the same gloom & doom response regardless of where it was posted . . . wouldn't you?
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#142 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Wait I thought this thread was about the high(ish)-end restaurant recovery in NYC?

I just didn't see the need to start a separate thread for that. You would have had the same gloom & doom response regardless of where it was posted . . . wouldn't you?

Let's all give Bonner a break this week, shall we? The tournament isn't going well for him and he's got to vent somewhere.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#143 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Show me where I've been gloom and doom about something other than NYC? I mean you literally don't know what you are talking about.

Adrian - look at the time stamp on that - it was before the game. I'm always happy to call Oakapple out.

Besides its not like it was the first round this year.
Why not mayo?

#144 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

Show me where I've been gloom and doom about something other than NYC? I mean you literally don't know what you are talking about.

Well, NYC is all we talk about on this board. If you're sanguine about, say, Topeka, how would I know? Condolences on your NCAA woes; my team lost too.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#145 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,810 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yeah - I really just think its NYC that is facing a problematic future in the US. I thought I'd been pretty consistent in saying that over the last few years here.

The tourney sucks until your team outperforms.
Why not mayo?