46 replies to this topic

#1 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

Just got myself a droid x so of course I'm posting with it! Tell me me about the best apps and games. I got the bird game already.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#2 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

I LOVE MINE. Months later and I'm still in love.

Best apps for me:

Air horn
Amazon
Astrid tasks
Bill splitter
Goggles
Kindle
Vignette ($)
Whoopee cushion (has Bronx cheer version!)

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#3 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

google sky map

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,517 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

does it have GPS? Shazam?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#5 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

you might also want to check out xda forums to find out how to do some of things verizon doesn't want you to do

#6 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Rancho, I think mine came with the Kindle app. I'm looking forward to using that one. What do you use the air horn for? And goggles, I read the description for that but I'm not sure what I would use it for. I might get that Astrid tasks.

I'm definitely going to download gps and Shazam.

I downloaded SNesoid (a Super Nintendo Emulator) and ROM Gripper and now I can play SNES games on my Droid! I couldn't believe how simple it was. I stumbled on these two apps and suddenly I was sitting in court playing Super Mario Kart.

#7 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

What do you mean by "download gps?"

Newsroom is a good one. I also use the Dolphin Browser instead of the stock. Retro Cam is fun.

#8 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

I know it has gps already but if I want one of those driving directions gps tools I need an app, right? Or do I?

#9 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

I know it has gps already but if I want one of those driving directions gps tools I need an app, right? Or do I?

i think google maps and google navigation should be already installed

#10 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

Cool I'll try it out but right now I'm playing Megaman.

#11 theclash

theclash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Cool I'll try it out but right now I'm playing Megaman.

google voice search should also be included so you can say "directions to ....." and it should pull up turn by turn directions

#12 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

Rancho, I think mine came with the Kindle app. I'm looking forward to using that one. What do you use the air horn for? And goggles, I read the description for that but I'm not sure what I would use it for. I might get that Astrid tasks.

With Goggles, you point your cam at, say, a bag of beans and it will do a google search on them! I'v e done obscure painting and it comes back with the results! I think it does prices with bar codes too.

Air horn attracts attention when my looks or loud voice fail. My staff adores it.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#13 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,517 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

So pardon my cluelessness, but how did you select X over Droid Incredible or Droid 2? Aside from screen size, are there other important features?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#14 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,627 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

So pardon my cluelessness, but how did you select X over Droid Incredible or Droid 2? Aside from screen size, are there other important features?

For me it was screen size. it's bigger but it's thinner. I've been on two trips with it and it's like having a laptop, which I hate carrying. I also wanted to have a screen pad instead of a real keyboard, after my BLackberry. There's an incredible system called Swype and you glidae cross the keypad without lifting a finger and it's almost like writing in cursive. It takes a few minutes to get used to but it works really well.

And Mouthfuls detects its a smart phone and it fits perfectly, even with View New Content.

Camera is so-so but the video is great, and there's an hdmi output so you can plug it into your tv.

Don't know if it's on the others but with one button you can be a Wifi hotspot.

It didn't work in Mexico as well as my blackberry, however. Only in Mexico City.

#15 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

Good reviews + big screen + I was advised by friends that I didn't need the slide-out keyboard. Friends seem happy with the X.

I'm not really used to it but I'm already liking Swype. I take it iPhone users don't have it? I mentioned it to a few users and they responded with blank stares.