9 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

on tomorrow's menu is a baked casserole of cauliflower in a bechamel and gruyere/grana padano sort of sauce and topped with more gruyere. can i make it tonight and hold it over night? i do this all the time with mac & cheese, but am worried about my cauliflower getting mushy. is my concern misplaced?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 backstory

backstory

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

on tomorrow's menu is a baked casserole of cauliflower in a bechamel and gruyere/grana padano sort of sauce and topped with more gruyere. can i make it tonight and hold it over night? i do this all the time with mac & cheese, but am worried about my cauliflower getting mushy. is my concern misplaced?

i know this is a bit late but i would roast the cauliflower separately. mix the sauce and veg the next day and bake together.
how did yours turn out?
In the end, it's all a rental. - hollywood

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

in the end i just put the casserole together about 2 hours before baking. i used colored cauliflower and didn't want the colors to bleed too much. it was awesome, as cheese casseroles go

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

was this a layered dish or was it vegetables in a casserole with the bechamel/cheese poured over and then baked?

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

was this a layered dish or was it vegetables in a casserole with the bechamel/cheese poured over and then baked?

the latter

~Jack Handey

#6 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

the latter

I want to try making it that way. I have seen recipes for layered cauliflower gratin that require thin sliced of cauliflower, but it sounds like a pain in the ass.

did you have any problem with cauliflower releasing a lot of water while baking and diluting the bechamel?

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

the latter

I want to try making it that way. I have seen recipes for layered cauliflower gratin that require thin sliced of cauliflower, but it sounds like a pain in the ass.

did you have any problem with cauliflower releasing a lot of water while baking and diluting the bechamel?

slicing cauliflower thin is a pain in the ass, even with a mandoline. i steamed the cauliflower in the microwave and then set it on paper towel for a few minutes before putting it into the baking dish. it didn't release enough water in the baking to ruin the bechamel.

~Jack Handey

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,015 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

the latter

slicing cauliflower thin is a pain in the ass, even with a mandoline. i steamed the cauliflower in the microwave and then set it on paper towel for a few minutes before putting it into the baking dish. it didn't release enough water in the baking to ruin the bechamel.

my grandma used to make a very thick bechamel and sort of just daub it on the pre-cooked veg and then brown that - so it wasn't really a casserole per se, but it was awesome.
Why not mayo?

#9 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

the latter

I steam my cauliflower then pour over the cheese sauce. I could serve it like that, but I like to brown under the grill/in hot oven.

Also, I don't follow any fancy white sauce recipes before adding milk and the cheese to the sauce. As per Jocasta Innes, brown your butter and flour in a pan for a couple of minutes then put in all of the milk as per your recipe's proportions and then bring to very quick boil while whisking. Then simmer for a bit. Forget about adding the milk little by bit (In fact I think that might lead to lumpy). I've never had a lumpy sauce. (And I've not found that steamed veg release much liquid at all.)
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,328 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

the latter

I steam my cauliflower then pour over the cheese sauce. I could serve it like that, but I like to brown under the grill/in hot oven.

Also, I don't follow any fancy white sauce recipes before adding milk and the cheese to the sauce. As per Jocasta Innes, brown your butter and flour in a pan for a couple of minutes then put in all of the milk as per your recipe's proportions and then bring to very quick boil while whisking. Then simmer for a bit. Forget about adding the milk little by bit (In fact I think that might lead to lumpy). I've never had a lumpy sauce.

my method is close to yvonne's. i brown some onions or shallots in butter add in the cream and then corn starch and then the cheese. my casserole was sort of a faked mac & cheese, so there was loads of cheese in the white sauce and on top. i topped with rice crumbs and grated piave in the last 10 minutes of the bake

~Jack Handey