51 replies to this topic

#1 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:05 PM

I am shortly setting out to strangle every single Verizon employee in NYC, their families, pets and neighbors. When I'm finished I will require a new internet and phone provider. Does anyone have any experience with Time Warner?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#2 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

I have the triple play and it's fine.

#3 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

Isn't that Verizon? You might want to change too after the bloodbath.

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,122 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

it doesn't suck anymore than verizon and is half the price. i am curious about the "signature home" service TW just started offering this week

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

No, it's the bundled cable, internet and television services from Time-Warner Cable.

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,842 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

I am shortly setting out to strangle every single Verizon employee in NYC, their families, pets and neighbors. When I'm finished I will require a new internet and phone provider. Does anyone have any experience with Time Warner?

if you succeed, i would like to retain you to take on Charter in California.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#7 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

No, it's the bundled cable, internet and television services from Time-Warner Cable.

Ah-ha. Verizon call theirs something similar. Thanks for the info.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,122 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Ah-ha. Verizon call theirs something similar. Thanks for the info.

verizon's un-lubricated triple screw. yes, very similar

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,916 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

oh lord. I hate time warner so so very much. Shitty service, shitty customer service, monopoly pricing. I've gone so far as to complain to the regulator about them. God I hate them. I can't stress this enough. I can't possibly believe Verizon is worse. It took TWC 7 trips to fix our internet at one point. When we moved the last time they no showed twice for installation. They charged $40 bucks to screw a wire into my cable box and call a code into the office. And in what is the most infuriating thing - they gave me a month of free internet and pitched it as "we are doing this to apologize for our service issues" when in reality they are legally obligated as a result of a consent decree then entered into with the city. Funny thing is my old building was getting FIOS in the next few months around the time we were moving out. Shockingly their customer service became a lot better. Now that I'm out of the FIOS queue again they couldn't give less of a fuck.
Grass is always greener.
Why not mayo?

#10 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:51 AM

I've had both and Verizon is by far worse than Time Warner.

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,183 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:01 AM

Verizon in NJ is pretty good. They give you a two hour window for appointments, and have always hit it, at least in my case. Their FIOS is wonderful, and they comp you for all kinds of things (service out due to a line down, etc) without asking.

I suspect part of it is the active presence of Comcast and Optimum patrolling for conversions, and part of it is the heritage of NJ Bell, which was a good, reliable local phone company before they were taken over by NY Bell / Verizon.

Competition is good, at least out here. Hardly a month passes without me getting some kind of an upgrade offer (free HBO for six months, etc) from Verizon, and all kinds of Triple Threat deals from Comcast. North Caldwell, which is the next town over, has Optimum, and I know they're doing all kinds of deals, just like Comcast and Verizon.

(I left my Comcast line to the house in place when I switched over to Verizon. It would take Comcast about 90 minutes to cut over my phone line, TV, computer, etc, from Verizon so the threat is always live.)

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#12 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,842 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

I've had both and Verizon is by far worse than Time Warner.

You lucky people! In these parts, Verizon is deemed superior to Charter which I am saddled with.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#13 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Based on the deals that Time Warner is offering on their website for cable, I'm paying way too much. Does anyone have experience with calling TW to threaten cancellation if I don't get a cheaper rate? It would of course be an idle threat because I can't live without my cable.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#14 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,122 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Based on the deals that Time Warner is offering on their website for cable, I'm paying way too much. Does anyone have experience with calling TW to threaten cancellation if I don't get a cheaper rate? It would of course be an idle threat because I can't live without my cable.

you want to get to the customer retention dept and you want to mention fios. they might offer you one of the intro packages and six months or a year of a premium channel for free. if they can't offer a better package rate definitely hold out for at least the free premiums

~Jack Handey

#15 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I tried that but all they did was knock a few dollars off my monthly bill for six months.