59 replies to this topic

#31 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

just switched from TWC internet to cablevision/optimum for internet only. cablevision is much faster and a little cheaper. they make you buy your own router unless you're also getting cable and phone service from cablevision.

#32 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,910 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

So, I just got call from Time Warner asking if I would sign up for tv again if they offered me cable/internet for $71/month for two years. I drop from $140/month to $71/month v. $50/month for Internet only.

I was kind of looking forward to not having tv.

And she was.

#33 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

So, I just got call from Time Warner asking if I would sign up for tv again if they offered me cable/internet for $71/month for two years. I drop from $140/month to $71/month v. $50/month for Internet only.

Time Warner is somewhat like the NY Times subscription service. If you cancel, or offer to cancel, there's always a better deal behind door number 2...

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#34 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

God that gets my goat, I'm paying the same amount ($70) for JUST basic cable. I'm cancelling.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#35 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

Time Warner is somewhat like the NY Times subscription service. If you cancel, or offer to cancel, there's always a better deal behind door number 2...

unless you live in an apt complex where TW is the only option. Then they don't offer anything if you cancel.

I had a friend in a house who played off TW against a competitor or two and ended up with a 50% price cut and a $200 credit.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#36 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

direct TV and cablevision are willing to haggle too.

#37 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hi Time Warner, my internets are not working. 

Sweet, we just sent a super secret signal to your modem.

Not working.

Oh, let me see, actually it's great news - we gave you a free upgrade to double the speed but you need to go to our office and replace your modem. 

Not happening.

Ok, so let me just make your modem work again.

So you're telling me you made my internet not work so that I come to your store? 

Well, you should be seeing a message explaining that when you go online.

Go online how?

Crickets

I never said that

#38 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

Just switch to Comcast.

#39 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,770 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

TWC internet has gone out a few times over the past week, usually around the end of the business day. We call (we do not have TWC phone), they say they'll call when it's restored, it comes back, twelve or more hours later they call to let us know it's back. Ha.

Don't ask me what happens to TV in that case; we almost never have it on.

I can't wait until I can get FIOS again, even if TWC internet is supposedly faster now. (They mailed us the new modem.)

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#40 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

TWC is the only provider around here, and they know it. 

I never said that

#41 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

I did the modem upgrade thing. I got a box with a phone in it.
Why not mayo?

#42 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

FIOS just came to my block in Brooklyn.  :)

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#43 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

i got a very strange call last week from claiming to be a third party vendor about scheduling an appt for the modem upgrade but sounded very much like a scam phishing call, because they couldn't explain exactly what the appt they wanted to schedule was for, the type of work to be done or what the upgrade would accomplish. i asked, if i could simply pick up a modem and install it myself and this person claimed only a tech could install it for me. i declined the appt. when i called time warner, they told me the call was fraudulent and that the new modems are not being offered in my building until late october and they would be for the most part self installed. glad i didn't give any personal info or schedule an appt. now i have to tell building management to post a note, just in case someone is targeting the building

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

fios was just installed in my building but not made available yet

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#45 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

FIOS just came to my block in Brooklyn.  :)

They plan on covering Kabul before they reach our block.

I never said that