2 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:50 AM

Dee and I dropped in at the Ship Inn today. The Inn is located on the main street in the little town of Milford on the Delaware, with an all day open kitchen. That's a treat in an area where many places have a fixed lunch period, followed by three hours of rest, and then dinner service.

Ship Inn is unabashedly British. Three guys at the bar were discussed football, and whether Arsenal had the right lineup. Two other guys discussed a third mate's bachelor bash in Belgium. Bubble and squeak were on the menu, as was a cheddar, potato and piccalilli dish of some sort.

HP, chutney, and Heinz malt vinegar were on the tables. There was a notice under the glass topped hatch cover tables that the beer was "brewed to British tastes" because they preferred it that way. Ship Inn brews its own beer in the back of the spacious establishment, visitors are welcome to observe the process.

Beer is served as Imperial pints ($5.25) which gives about 20 oz. I ordered a "Red Moon" porter, which had been started the night of the solstice lunar eclipse. Very nice, fragrant, not at all heavy, but slightly dark red beverage. Very refreshing. Dee had the Golden light ale, which was a top yeasted, blond, unfiltered, smooth beverage.

Two 8 oz burgers, served with hand cut, OK fries. Excellent burgers, good thin char, perfectly medium rare. Good roll. Juicy enough that I had to be careful not to drip on my jeans. $10.50 each. A 12 oz version is available for $2 more.

Dessert was an ESB, released this past Friday. This was an excellent beer, with just a hint of bitterness / tartness in my nose. I was seriously tempted to buy a growler (64 oz for $7 with growler included, $5 refills for dinner guests). This is a good price.

By this time, several more Brits had arrived, and were discussing some antique finds they had discovered. That's not surprising as the area west of Flemington, south of I-78, and into Bucks County has become very popular for the country home set. It's about 80 minutes from Manhattan, and a wide range of rural and small town accommodations are available.

A special menu has been constructed for the Robbie Burns night feasting. Scotch Ale, Tipsy Laird, Cabbie Claw Poached cod, shrimp and salmon cake served with caper dipping sauce and Scotch oat cake, Traditional Haggis Served with tatties and neeps, etc

Burns

A British brew pub

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 cdh

cdh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

Glad to hear it's still doing well... haven't been by in a couple of years. Will have to remedy that.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,195 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

Stopped by Ship Inn this afternoon, on the way back from chileplants.com. Still a very pleasant place to have a brew, watch the river, etc. As long as you don't order something to eat.

Had a best bitter (OK, cask conditioned, caramel color) for $5.75, and a roast beef sandwich on toasted bread. Bread was good, meat could have been better, few shreds of lettuce, pitiful sandwich for $7.95. Stilton was offered as a topping for $2 more.

Dee had a grass fed, local burger with bleu cheese($13.45) and a Diet Coke ($2.75). She wasn't especially happy with the burger, which she said had an "off" taste. It probably wasn't the first time the restaurant has heard this complaint, since it has a paragraph on its local, artisanal, grass fed beef. The essence is "this meat tastes different because it is different. It requires you to chew and appreciate. We can't send it back to the grower, so don't send it back to our kitchen."

Pleasant, friendly server, though. Kept the four or five guest bar, and kept an eye on the two or three tables of diners in the early afternoon.

The next time I'm in the area, I'll probably swing by the Sergeantsville Inn, which is just east of chileplants.com. They have River Horse brews on tap, and an excellent kitchen which is open most of the day.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman