14 replies to this topic

#1 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Our HP that outlived one desktop & is nearly a couple years into the life of our new one has finally bit the dust. That means it's no longer capable of printing crisp, clear bar codes on coupons that will scan at local registers. This is an unacceptable state of affairs.

Should we stick with HP or look at something else? We don't need to print high resolution color photos etc. Looking for reliability & simplicity.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:39 AM

we've been quite pleased with the HP P1102w. Small footprint, good wireless connections, decent output from the quite expensive toner cartridge. We got the printer for $99, and the refill is about $70

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:15 AM

At Staples, the sales guy was pushing a Kodak ESP 7250 printer/copier/scanner for $149. ($129 at Best Buy or Amazon.) There are some mixed reviews around the Net, but then everything has mixed reviews. The HP model with equivalent functionality was $199. I suppose Staples won't have the best bargain but to me it's not worth the drive to Best Buy for $20.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,512 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:47 AM

We have had an HP Laser Jet CP2025 for several years and are pretty happy with it -- color, duplex printing, reasonable speed -- except for the obscenely expensive cartridges. But it is reliable and works on a variety of papers.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

I have the older version of this Brother Laser Printer. Mine doesn't have the duplex or wireless, only Ethernet, but it seems to be much the same and I think I paid about $120 for it. This one is ~$140 without looking too hard, and there are cheaper versions if you don't need duplexing or network connectivity. (I like being able to just plug the printer into my router, which is in a central location, so I can print easily from my laptop.)

From my experience, text and bar codes come out crisp. At least, Barnes & Noble, BJ's, etc., never seem to have any trouble with my coupons.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#6 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

We don't need to print high resolution color photos etc. Looking for reliability & simplicity.

G, Exactly my parameters also. I recently got the Brother HL 2270DW which has been on sale at Best Buy. It is a wireless laser jet, black printing only. Really nice thus far.
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#7 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks all. I should've been more clear in my initial post, we do need color; S occasionally prints photos & mails them off to folks not on the Net, and does a lot of greeting card stuff. I was trying to indicate I wasn't looking for a super high-end rig.

I suspect we'll just give the Kodak a try. At this point it has reasonably priced ink cartridges. That it doubles as a scanner is nice since our old scanner is pretty well shot.

#8 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

Just an update - we bought the Kodak & it has been a mixed bag. It goes through ink cartridges very quickly, much faster than our old HP, so the fact that the individual cartridges are cheaper doesn't really save you anything. That's a big pain.

The controls are intuitive & easy to operate. The photocopying & scanning functions are quick & efficient; it's nice to have all that functionality in one machine. Still, I think we'll buy a Canon next time.

#9 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,969 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Just an update - we bought the Kodak & it has been a mixed bag. It goes through ink cartridges very quickly, much faster than our old HP, so the fact that the individual cartridges are cheaper doesn't really save you anything. That's a big pain.

The controls are intuitive & easy to operate. The photocopying & scanning functions are quick & efficient; it's nice to have all that functionality in one machine. Still, I think we'll buy a Canon next time.

I hate my Canon MP620. The cartridges are tiny; the printer uses them up very quickly and they are expensive. It takes a long time to start up and makes annoying clanking noises. Maybe the higher-end Canon printers are ok, but avoid this one. (It's probably out of production.)

#10 TheMatt

TheMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

I'm pretty much anti-inkjet at this point. I want one for photos, etc., but each one I try just frustrates me with the razor blade philosophy of selling. I've gone to just heading to Kinkos (or Fedex or whatever) and using their Sony PictureStations to print any photos I need.
Dr TheMatt
Certified Nerd and Oh So Boring...

#11 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

What is the razor blade philosophy of selling?

A photographer friend has an Epsom ink-jet that uses roll paper. It makes some incredible prints.

The problem with my two Canon ink-jets is that I don't use the printers often, and the ink cartridges clog or dry out. Maybe I'll just start using Kinkos. Are they reasonably priced?

And she was.

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,615 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

What is the razor blade philosophy of selling?

the razor is cheap, the blades, which need constant replacement, are fucking expensive.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Oh, yes.
Are printers that inexpensive?

And she was.

#14 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,969 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Oh, yes.
Are printers that inexpensive?

Yes.

#15 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

My feeling on printers pretty much echos The Oatmeal.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

That being said for personal use I like Epson lately for multifunction inkjet. HP only for lasers. I was just sent the new HP Color Laserjet 100, nice machine.
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos