#1 pierre

pierre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

. Restaurant memorable week

I ate at some amazing restaurants recently .Often one is lucky if 50% of the restaurants are exciting but but a 100% satisfaction is a record.

Mon night was at Le grand Pan.(15e).20 rue rosenwald,01 42 50 02 50.Ate at the bar.Had a mouthwatering cote de veau with crispy house french fries.Walked 35 min to get there.

Tues had lunch with john .John spends 9 months in Paris ,discovering new restaurants of merit.He is a great resource.The restaurant was Rech,62 ave des termes(17e),01 54 72 29 47.

Seafood is the thing here and it delivered with flying colors.I started with marinated salmon with lemon and beet.A unique and interesting combination,followed by perfectly cooked fillet of fish with mushroom and salsify strips.I don't know why fish is not cooked like this in the US,even marielle would have loved this dish.The dessert was crunchy dacqoise based cake with noisette and ice cream,just heavenly.The total was 30 euros,a steal.A white muscadet wine went beautifully with the whole thing.After that we went to an art exhibit of David Hockney.His tool is the ipad.Its amazing how he created pictures of vases of flowers ,intense with colors and shapes electronically.I filmed the luncheon and some of his work.

I had dinner next night at Bistrot Volnay,8 rue volnay,01 42 50 35 29 and could not believe how good it was.Its small and quite elegant.welcome is warm and service excellent.Dining alone, they gave me a good spot to watch the action,saying jokingly there will be no extra charge .I started with marinated salmon with potatoes.IT was a mixture of different tastes ,all hitting at the same time,lemon being dominant.Just wonderful. The main was scallops with truffles.Again ,very tasty and multi dimensional.Both dishes were not heavy and quite unique.Games also were being offered,but it was a warm day .I"ll be back on a cold day for that.Dessert was the classical rix au lait.just delicious.Dinner was 42 euros ,which included a truffle supplement.I left the restaurant on cloud 9 without my i pod,1/2 a block from the restaurant the lovely waitress that was serving me appeared ,hoofing and puffing with the i pod.

Another memorable lunch was at Spring.6 rue Bailleul (1e).01 45 96 05 72 .

The chef and owner is an American,Daniel Rose.About 4 years ago he opened a hole in the wall and became a sensation,beloved by the french and US critic (NY Times, etc).Two 2 years ago ,he showed me the 18th century bldg close to Louvre, where he wanted to fix 2000 sq ft as his new restaurant.I told him it will be very expensive and will take a long time.He said he had already signed the lease.The restaurant opened recently,about 2 years later and the cost was high
When I entered the restaurant for the 1st time ,I was greeted by Daniel,saying I should have listened to you and that he even came close a few times to walking out.

Lunch as usual was great.consisting of a porcini and nut salad,followed by seafood bouillon and then delicious fried chicken .It was not heavy,just right.WE drank an Alsacian and burgundy(mercurey) pinot noir.Total cost was 66 euros.

Another evening i dined alone at Saturne ,17 rue notre dames des victoires ((2e).01 42 60 31 90 .

Another solo diner sat next to me , very knowledgeable of Paris restaurants and with excellent taste buds.He turned out to be the concierge of hotel Maurice.We both ordered the 5 course menu degustation (59 euros) consisting of a mushroom salad,then a fish and a beef dish,ending with aged comte cheese and dessert.We discussed each dish and mostly agreed.The ingredients were 1st class,lightly treated with little sauce.So its leger,as the french say.Not much seasoning,therefore no strong flavors.Its a style that seems to appeal to many critics.Its pleasant but not something I dream of when I am hungry.Interestingly the wines,mostly bio were light as well in general . So this restaurant provides another choice and is quite different overall

#2 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

Victor, Interesting report! Thanks!

Glad you got re-connected with your iPod...and in such a heart-warming fashion!
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Pierre's earlier recommend of Le Grand Pan is echoed in the NY Times.

On his five-course tasting menu, Benôit Gauthier, the 32-year-old owner and chef, offers whatever he likes, based on seasonal items he finds daily in the market: truffles in winter, asparagus in spring, lobster in summer, game in autumn (42 euros, $52 at $1.24 to the euro; there are also à la carte options).

“I can’t tell you in advance everything that I’ll serve you,” he said. “There always has to be a surprise.”

Our menu one evening included lobster soup with chorizo and croutons, tuna tournedos with foie gras and avocado salad, and line-caught merlu à la plancha.

Mr. Gauthier is the son of a butcher from the Corrèze, the south-central region where locals believe they produce some of the finest cattle in the land. It was there that his father taught him about cuts of meat. It should, then, come as no surprise that the most popular dish of the house is the côte de boeuf for two (52 euros), served with thick, long, hand-cut, double-fried French fries. It is such a sublime dining experience it will tempt even the committed vegetarian to fall off the wagon for an evening.

Le Grand Pan, 20, rue Rosenwald in the 15th

Paris Salon

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman