33 replies to this topic

#1 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:04 AM

Anything new and exciting in the Jupiter area? I'll be heading down there and will be looking for places to go out -- dinner, drinks, nightlife, etc.

I am disappointed that Barrymore's has closed. I am hearing very good things about Season's 52 (in PBG).

I certainly plan on going to Too Bizaare (Jupiter).

Anything else? New and exciting? Classics?

Thanks in advance.

#2 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:30 AM

Anything? Jupiter? PBG? Tequesta?

I have to eat . . . LOL.

Thanks in advance.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,601 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:43 AM

OTB had an excellent dinner at Verdea in Palm Beach Gardens

Verdea

and I've had several good, simple meals at Shrimper's in Port Salerno. Nothing fancy, just good fish, cold beer, and right on the dock.

With all the money in Jupiter, you'd think there would be more restaurants.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

How far are you willing to drive? 30 miles?

11 Maple St in Jensen Beach is a very worthwile road trip. Upscale Modern American fare in a cozy Florida country home. Went a couple years ago and was very surprised with the quality and execution. The chef has some legit accolades from what I remember. (I wrote about it somewhere but canít find it). Youíll get an idea from Yelp.

I rec you sit at the bar (outside) and stick to the small plates. I remember fine versions of ribs, foie, scallops and crab cakes.

I thought it was the best restaurant Iíd ever been to in Florida (not that thatís saying much).

(I thought maybe they were closed. The site, 11maplestreet.net is either down or out but I see a recent post, a novice's, from yesterday)

#5 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

How far are you willing to drive? 30 miles?

11 Maple St in Jensen Beach is a very worthwile road trip. Upscale Modern American fare in a cozy Florida country home. Went a couple years ago and was very surprised with the quality and execution. The chef has some legit accolades from what I remember. (I wrote about it somewhere but canít find it). Youíll get an idea from Yelp.

I rec you sit at the bar (outside) and stick to the small plates. I remember fine versions of ribs, foie, scallops and crab cakes.

I thought it was the best restaurant Iíd ever been to in Florida (not that thatís saying much).

(I thought maybe they were closed. The site, 11maplestreet.net is either down or out but I see a recent post, a novice's, from yesterday)

Thanks. Sure, I'll drive 30 miles. I do that often here at home. Sounds like a good place. I'll check out the website. I guess my knee-jerk reaction was (maybe it's just what I have always thought) that there are so many good places around Jupiter, PBG, etc. That's how I found BarryMoore's, Too Bizaare, and Carmine's (? -- I think it's Carmine's but I haven't been there in so long I forgot). When I used to go much more often, I asked around, asked my neighbors, tried different places, and so on. I don't go as much, and my neighbors don't either, LOL.

Regardless, Jensen Beach is not a problem. I often avoid "nice" places or "fine dining" kind of places and look more more FL-style, casual, laid-back, etc., kind of places. Thank you again.

#6 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:50 AM

Jupiter you should totally go to Little Moir's Food Shack and also Leftovers.

http://offthebroiler...irs-food-shack/
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

My Dad just moved to the southern part of Palm Beach County - going tomorrow for the weekend - anything in that part of town? Or should we drive up north? Simple seafood would be good, as his wife is a total pain in the ass about what she eats.
Why not mayo?

#8 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

Regardless, Jensen Beach is not a problem. I often avoid "nice" places or "fine dining" kind of places and look more more FL-style, casual, laid-back, etc., kind of places. Thank you again.

Itís totally laid back and casual (esp if you sit at the bar) just with elevated food (for that part of the world). Strolling distance from the restaurant, a small town area with a cluster of beach art/ knick knack shops. Nothing great but cute enough.

Found a couple pics. Descrips may be off a bit but you get the idea:

Frog legs w anchovie rstd pepper crostini

Posted Image

duck breast or foie (sorry, I canít remember) with an Asian slaw

Posted Image

crab cake in a carrot emulsion with an aioli and onion rings

Posted Image

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

My Dad just moved to the southern part of Palm Beach County - going tomorrow for the weekend - anything in that part of town? Or should we drive up north? Simple seafood would be good, as his wife is a total pain in the ass about what she eats.

Only night out ended up in Delray at 32 East, which was fine. Had a pretty cool Knoll GV for a great price at least.
Why not mayo?

#10 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Was the Knoll included in the early bird? :D

Further inland, in Delray, close to my mom's hood (Del Boca Vista on steroids), they dragged us to Lindburgers lastime which turned out some suprisingly good burgers. Whatever blend they're using it's good quality. Fries and rings nice too. I mean nothing shattering but better than it has to be for down there. Your dad might get a kick out of it. It's got that pre-fab kitchyness they love down there. www.Lindburgers.com

#11 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Was the Knoll included in the early bird? :D

Further inland, in Delray, close to my mom's hood (Del Boca Vista on steroids), they dragged us to Lindburgers lastime which turned out some suprisingly good burgers. Whatever blend they're using it's good quality. Fries and rings nice too. I mean nothing shattering but better than it has to be for down there. Your dad might get a kick out of it. It's got that pre-fab kitchyness they love down there. www.Lindburgers.com

We ate at 8:45 and his wife was scandalized.

The Knoll was like 20% over retail on a list filled with cali stuff at 2x+. The owner came over and asked if we knew what the wine was before we opened it.
Why not mayo?

#12 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

Part 1 -- Season's 52 was very good. From the drinks before dinner, to the flat-breads, to the entrťes -- everything was very good. More details to follow.

Also, as always Too Bizaare was excellent! Time and time again, this place knocks it out of the park -- ambiance, environment, food, diversity, and so on. Only beer, wine and sake, but that's OK. I have liked this place from the first time I went there and still do. More details to follow as well.

#13 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

Also, not a full-meal -- but I did hit the Dune Dog as well. LOL.

I was on my way to meet some friends and decided to have a couple of dogs -- as always -- very good dogs. One with sauerkraut and mustard, the other with their onion sauce. Very good.

#14 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

Are you still there? Probably not. I remembered another place in Jensen that might interest you/AB/others next time. Itís called Mrs. Petersonís Smoke House (take out). Nice variety and freshly smoked fish esp the wahoo, scallops, shrimp and dips. (Major bonus that they offer samples of all the dips) The place is an institution. Roll your window down within a quarter mile and get a wonderful wiff of whatís smoking.,
http://www.mrspeters.com/

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,703 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm sure this is telling you something you all already know, but isn't there a BBQ place in Jupiter that's under the same ownership as a biker BBQ place in the Adirondacks? I've only been to the Northern branch, but it's good only because everything else around it is so bad. The same can probably be said of Palm Beach County.
Bar Loser

MF Old