Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,331 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:30 AM

OTB had an excellent dinner at Verdea in Palm Beach Gardens

Verdea

and I've had several good, simple meals at Shrimper's in Port Salerno. Nothing fancy, just good fish, cold beer, and right on the dock.

First bad meal in 10 years at Shrimper's.

Garlic basted, skewered shrimp turned out to be six shrimp in the 30 to a pound size. Really small, puny, even.

Had one, no taste, sent 'em back. Others in my family party enjoyed their excellent and larger cocoanut shrimp, grilled mahi-mahi, etc.

Charming place, though. A fisherman came through the outdoor dining area with a cleaned 20 pound or so dolphin, showing it off. Had a number of conversations with folks at tables. Came back about 15 minutes later with baggies of fish steaks, parts, etc for later consumption. Discreet exchanges, and off he went. I understand this happens regularly.

There's a decent amount of activity at the fish cleaning tables around the marina in Port Salerno in the evenings.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#32 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Impressive how much area you cover. Where are you based again?

Shrimperís looks like a nice anecdote to the chains. Bare bones, stuck in time, water front, fresh grilled fish and lots of fried stuff. Nothing wrong with that. Iíll try to convince the gang next time. There's a Walmart close by which will be an incentive. :lol:

#33 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,331 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Impressive how much area you cover. Where are you based again?

Shrimperís looks like a nice anecdote to the chains. Bare bones, stuck in time, water front, fresh grilled fish and lots of fried stuff. Nothing wrong with that. Iíll try to convince the gang next time. There's a Walmart close by which will be an incentive. :lol:

Shrimper's is indeed a good alternate to the chains, as is the Dolphin (mentioned in another thread) and the nearby Conchy Jack's which has the same owners as Dolphin.

This year, we're up at the north end of South Hutchinson Island. Fort Pierce is five minutes across the bridge, Jensen Beach is about 15 minutes south along A-1-A. Last year we were down at the Stuart end of South Hutchinson Island. Still looking at real estate, but there's a whole lot coming on the market. Foreclosure notices are up, banks are starting to OK some short sales (see the Florida bottom thread with ABonner for more on that)

Pietro's in Jensen Beach was mentioned favorably by some people the other day

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#34 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Are you focusing on Hutcthinson Island? Was just browsing some of the RE. You must be losing your mind. I see furnished 2 bed condos on the beach and furnished 2 bed houses on the river with docking for well under $200k.

The Pietro views might make up for my disinterest in this kind of Italian food (especially down there). The mix grill looks worth a shot tho.