36 replies to this topic

#1 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

Finally got over to this place today. After reading about the Pat LaFrieda connection, I had it on the top of my list.

It delivered, it's a WONDERFUL burger. Flavorful, dense, and they will cook it rare! (Which blows to hell the idea that 5
G cooks it for 20 minutes because of health regs).

Condiments are top notch as well, caramelized onions are homemade, taste like they were simmered for hours. Terrific homemade cole slaw. There are a few types of fries, I opted for the "super fries" which are in wedges, baked first then fried. Great.

A really nice modern comfortable environment as well. They even have a wifi hotspot! (Don't get ketchup on your laptop lol)Also, this is NOT a chain, and the owner is usually there. Makes a big difference too.

They do need a better overhead outside sign, which now only says "Bucu". The owner said that he needs to get the word "burgers" up on the sign. Rte 4 is one of the busiest roads in the state, and drivers need to know that this is a burger joint.

Good luck to them, the place is great, and I highly recommend it.

#2 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:08 AM

Other than Rt. 4, where is it?

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,175 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:53 AM

35 Plaza, Route 4 West, Paramus, NJ 07652•347•470•BUCU

I believe this is just west of Spring Valley Road.

Website

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Oh, it's NOT a chain. The owner is present and available in the place, probably another reason it's so good.

#5 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

Oh, it's NOT a chain. The owner is present and available in the place, probably another reason it's so good.

I wasn't clear. I meant, physically, WHERE IS IT? lol...as in, RT. 4 in Paramus is a big place. Paul's info tells the tale.

#6 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

Oh, OK. It's on Rte 4 West, in the strip center between Houlihans and Chipotle. Just before the 17 junction.

#7 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

gotcha...thanks, look forward to trying it.

#8 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,175 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

A very positive review by tommy in the tommy:eats blog. He really enjoyed the burger at Bucu. And, rates it higher than the Dutch House. The Dutch House creates a superb bar burger, IMHO

Bucu

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#9 pete ganz

pete ganz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 02:11 AM

Very nice tommy and menton. Burger was very good, and fries were delicious. Got a hot dog for my son, which was very good, but different from the usual offerings from this area. Also got some cupcakes and a chocolate shake, fantastic. Good luck to them.

#10 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

I went today for a quick lunch.

I love the design and the use of the center for the "bar" style seating. Very cool.

I like the fact that they deliver your food, thereby quickening the pace of order. That being said, the girl working the register this afternoon needed a Red Bull or a shot of espresso. Disinterested would be an understatement.

On to the food...

Ordered a single on a potato bun with blue cheese, griddled onions, mustard and ketchup. I didn't specify a temp and wasn't asked. The burger was cooked through to well, but still remained pretty juicy. The burger itself was sloppy in that Five Guys sort of way. There is no doubt that the meat mixture here is a much better quality than a Five Guys or Cheeburger Cheeburger. The fries were great...simply great.

Had a vanilla cupcake just to be able to complete my thoughts. It too was very well done.

The milkshake menu looked very interesting, although I didn't partake. The soda fountain is Pepsi products, of which I am not a fan. lol

Overall, great addition to the burger scene in the area and I'll be back to check out some other stuff.

#11 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

I concur. Nice place. Nice people. Good burgers.

Posted Image

NJ Dining: BUCU Burger Bar & Bakery
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#12 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

I have to ask, did you tell them who who you were? Not for any unscrupulous reason (clearly NOT going back there) bur rather, because, my burger ain't look NOTHING like that. lol. Mine looked like a steaming, hot mess. IT was tasty, but clearly not something to be photographed.

#13 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

I have to ask, did you tell them who who you were? Not for any unscrupulous reason (clearly NOT going back there) bur rather, because, my burger ain't look NOTHING like that. lol. Mine looked like a steaming, hot mess. IT was tasty, but clearly not something to be photographed.

They knew I was coming in advance. However, many of the burgers I saw coming out of the kitchen that night looked very similar. Rachel does a bit of food styling at the table, in the sense that we re-arrange stuff to look more photogenic. However, these are not "pretty burgers" by any stretch of the imagination, I said as much in my post.
Jason Perlow

#14 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

They knew I was coming in advance. However, many of the burgers I saw coming out of the kitchen that night looked very similar. Rachel does a bit of food styling at the table, in the sense that we re-arrange stuff to look more photogenic. However, these are not "pretty burgers" by any stretch of the imagination, I said as much in my post.

Good to know. I love your photos by the way. Great stuff.

One other comment I will make on the place. Their kitchen seems capable of real cooking. For instance, today they were running what looked to be legit corned beef and cabbage as well as a burger special with corned beef on top. Some of the other sandwiches that I saw leave the counter also looked to be properly cooked. It's good to see that they are not so systematized that it is robotic, rather than real cooking. That is often my compliant with these sorts of operations that are clearly done with future expansion in mind. This place looks to be the product of a seasoned restaurant person, rather than just business people. Look forward to trying more...

ETA: In reading Jason's write up and his background on the owners made me laugh...shows what I know. Although the wife is a trained baker, they are not "seasoned" restaurant people. lol...Either way, best of luck to them.

#15 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

ETA: In reading Jason's write up and his background on the owners made me laugh...shows what I know. Although the wife is a trained baker, they are not "seasoned" restaurant people. lol...Either way, best of luck to them.

While I generally am not optimistic of the long-term prospect of folks who go into the restaurant business without any prior experience, Rick Ross appears to be a VERY bright guy.

I would not compare large scale residential building and contracting to running a restaurant, but there are some skill sets that do translate over, such as the ability to run large teams of people and keep budgets and deal with suppliers and vendors. As someone who comes from a family of builders, I understand this. He certainly seems to have made some good decisions right from the start.
Jason Perlow