365 replies to this topic

#331 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think there's space between vibrant urbanism and soulless wasteland.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#332 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

not really. not when it comes to big development projects like this.
Why not mayo?

#333 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,014 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

I just don't see folks from the UWS or UES saying, "No, let's not go to Gramercym, LES or the Meat Packing District, let's go to that new place in Battery Park City." And walking from the subway over the highway has little to do with it.

Well, there is only North End Grill, and it will attract some Tabla fans and restaurant followes like us, and otherwise will cater to the very needy neighborhood. I still don't know why that's a negative.

#334 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

not really. not when it comes to big development projects like this.

It has a soul -- the parks and playgrounds. What it doesn't have is much street life.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#335 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Well, there is only North End Grill, and it will attract some Tabla fans and restaurant followes like us, and otherwise will cater to the very needy neighborhood. I still don't know why that's a negative.

To the contrary, it's quite honorable.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#336 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

so did all those failed 60's projects.
Why not mayo?

#337 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

so did all those failed 60's projects.

I'll tell you the difference. They were all built to fit the Tower in the Park theory. The difference is that the failed 60s projects had too much tower and not enough park. Parkchester and Stuy Town and BPC all have plenty of park. Coop City in the Bronx is an urban desert.

Stuy Town
Posted Image

Parkchester
Posted Image

Coop City
Posted Image

The developers of those 1960s projects sat around and said "You know what? We can double our returns if we just squeeze in a few more towers." Well, yes, but at the expense of livability. People aren't stupid. They prefer park land over towers. That's why they willingly seek out some developments and shun others.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.

#338 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

you can find failed low-rises as well pretty easily.

MetLife was a good landlord.
Why not mayo?

#339 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

you can find failed low-rises as well pretty easily.

MetLife was a good landlord.

Yes, MetLife was a good landlord. I don't mean to understate the value of that. But what I'm saying is that these places failed* on the drawing board. Look at the difference in Peter Cooper Village and Stuy Town. They're just across the street from each other.

Posted Image

Superficially PCV fits the Tower in the Park model but it looks like they used a 1960s mainframe computer to see how they could fit the maximum amount of towers into the minimum park land. The result is butt ugly. That matters to the people who live there - it really does.

* I define "failed" in the sense that people much prefer to live in a place with more trees and grass.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.

#340 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

To be honest I'm not quite sure what we are disagreeing about. I'd argue Stuy Town would have not been as stable as it was were it not for MetLife.

BTW look at the example of the MetLife complexes that were sold off during the 70's. They were if anything nicer than that NY ones and they quickly faded once more profit minded landlords came aboard.
Why not mayo?

#341 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,014 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Ryan Sutton gets NEG righter than Pete Wells.

#342 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Ryan Sutton gets NEG righter than Pete Wells.

I agree that Sutton gets it right.

There are no petits fours, no intermezzos. Don’t expect a ribbon-wrapped parting gift.

Same at NoMad.

Try a few bar snacks, which are sort of like amuse bouches except that you have to pay for them.

Again, same at NoMad.

These are the once-standard courtesies that have gone the way of gas station attendants and “Thank you.”

NJ still has gas station attendants. State law dictates that you cannot pump your own gas there, which is fine with me!

#343 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

NJ still has gas station attendants. State law dictates that you cannot pump your own gas there, which is fine with me!

Enjoy the scent of fresh petrol on your hands when going to dinner. Sometimes it enhances food nuances immeasurably.

#344 hcbk0702

hcbk0702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Enjoy the scent of fresh petrol on your hands when going to dinner. Sometimes it enhances food nuances immeasurably.

Will that push more people towards aged Mosel Riesling?

#345 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

The more I eat here the better I like it.

This time I had an appetizer of chili-rubbed cod with ramps and (I think) cooked radishes spritzed with meyer lemon juice. For my main dish, a special of soft shell crabs. Both these dishes danced with being affirmatively spicy, but ended up hewing to the line of being robustly flavored. (A spice-averse friend, however, couldn't finish her crabs.) Put simply, this food is much more interesting than it needs to be. It's certainly excellently prepared. The restaurant was pretty much slammed moderately late on a Saturday night (which you'd take for granted in most neighborhoods, but in BPC had me a little surprised). But I think this place would be a smash no matter where it was located.

They changed the name of the Eccles cake on the menu to "almond puff pastry with currants". Not enough people were ordering it.
Bar Loser

MF Old