38 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,583 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Pete Genovese reports that the esteemed bbq establishment will be opening in Newark.

He reports that a highlight will be pit smokers in the center of the dining room. The location is on Market street, between Broad and Mulberry, about a block from the Rock arena. It's about two blocks west of Newark Penn station

BBQ from NJ.com

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Interesting news, Dinosaur is supposed to be the best in NYC...

Frankly though, I think from Bergen County its easier to go to the Harlem location. GW to West Side Hwy and off at 125th. But that's good news for Essex County-ites...

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

I would be very curious to hear who says that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

Ditto...

#5 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

Ditto...

Dinosaur is certainly very solid BBQ overall and they perform well when John Stage is manning the fort. I personally think that their chicken is one of the best things they do. I think that among the various BBQ restaurants that NYC has it certainly has very good pork and ribs, although compared to RUB, or Hill Country their brisket is not as strong. I like Blue Smoke's ribs, I think they excel at that. I havent been to Wildwood or the new one Robbie Richter owns yet.

http://offthebroiler...osaur-barbecue/
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Sounds like its a great thing for Newark though, I think for the people who know Newark, it will take a lot for them to not go to the local Portuguese BBQ spot.. But, I hope this means good things for the city in general..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#7 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great addition. I just don't know anyone (whose opinion I trust) who thinks that the best BBQ in NYC comes from anywhere other than Daisy May's...

ETA: and I like the overall experience of apps and cocktails, etc., at Blue Smoke. But for a pure plate of BBQ and a jar of sweet tea, Daisy May's is the only game in town in my view.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

Hill Country when it was great.

Now, Daisy May's rules totally, for sure.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

Does Daisy May's still have that cart on Wall St? I haven't had their BBQ in years.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

No!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

The last time we were at Daisy May's was in 2009. I was really disappointed with the Memphis ribs. They were too dry, and the rub was exceedingly salty. But the pulled pork was very good. We went again to try the K.C. ribs, and they were quite good.

One thing that really annoyed me pertained to the bbq sauce. Since they don't keep it in squirt bottles on the tables the way some other bbq places do, you have to ask for some. What they give you is one very small pre-measured amount in a plastic cup with a lid. Hardly enough so you have to ask for another. But what's even worse is that they keep the sauce in the frig which, of course, means the sauce is ice cold! Why do they think it's a good idea to put ice cold bbq sauce on hot ribs?

#12 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

Check #29: http://ny.eater.com/...38.php#pointmap

http://nycitymama.co...t-ribs-in-town/

Check the header and the comments: http://eats.com/rest...-16763/details/

Do I gather that some others think that Dinosaur sucks?

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

I would say upper-mediocre much more than I'd say sucks.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:18 AM

I definitely don't think Dinosaur "sucks." I just think Daisy May's is that much better. APL brings a real chef's approach to his pit and the depth of flavor in his sauces and spice rubs illustrates that.

To be honest, most NYC BBQ places side dishes suck, compared to their NC, TN and TX counterparts. So, I usually just judge the place on the meat, sauces and whether or not they can make a legit southern style sweet tea. Daisy May's sweet tea is the best in the city and they give you a mason jar full of it for like 2 bucks. I think his pulled pork is off the charts. I think his brisket is right there. I've had the chance to eat the whole baby bbq lamb and that was one of the best food experiences of my life...no bullshit. Sure, there are individual things that you can get better at other places, but if judging on the consistent quality of the meat (pulled pork, brisket and ribs), the sauces and the sweet tea and bonus points for creativity, Adam Perry Lang wins...

#15 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

I would say upper-mediocre much more than I'd say sucks.

That seems to be a minority viewpoint, though...