100 replies to this topic

#91 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

I disagree. The lack of availability reflects that developers do not feel there can ever be a market given the fragmented and somewhat random evolution of unix based OS families.

But that, again, is a secondary issue relating to a host of things like marketing, whether there's any profit in it, etc.

Of course, but whatever the reasons might be, the reality is that non-vendor Unix (Linux, that is) is a failure in the consumer market, while vendor Unix coupled with a specific GUI and App Server/VM environment (iOS, OS X, Android) work pretty well and have a huge number of applications written for them.

I just remembered a joke a friend told me a few years ago:

OpenOffice.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#92 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

I 've met several members of the royal family. I guess that makes me next in line for the throne.

As expected, he changes the subject and cannot effectively address a single one of the substantive points.

Looks like he's done pontificating. Or maybe he's off writing an operating system. Anyway, Chambo did pretty good for an accountant.

Don't let me keep you from your sums.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#93 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

I disagree. The lack of availability reflects that developers do not feel there can ever be a market given the fragmented and somewhat random evolution of unix based OS families.

But that, again, is a secondary issue relating to a host of things like marketing, whether there's any profit in it, etc.

Of course, but whatever the reasons might be, the reality is that non-vendor Unix (Linux, that is) is a failure in the consumer market, while vendor Unix coupled with a specific GUI and App Server/VM environment (iOS, OS X, Android) work pretty well and have a huge number of applications written for them.

I just remembered a joke a friend told me a few years ago:

OpenOffice.

Sure. I have no brief for any particular brand of Unix. My point is only that Unix was superior to every other operating system when it was introduced and, contrary to the protestations of the bloviating accountant, no better ones have been introduced since. That's the reason it is winning out now*.

*At least if you regard iPhones as computers. Intriguing to know which way TBA will jump. Maintain that they are to win the argument on the other thread; or deny it to win this one.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#94 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

ADMIN NOTE:

Maybe, just maybe, we stop the personal asides?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#95 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Or else this thread gets closed, too?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#96 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

Or else this thread gets closed, too?

Or, perhaps a warning PM directly to the offenders, followed by Mod Queue, rather than closing what was/could be a useful thread to other members :ph43r: .

#97 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

Seems like that would have less of a GENERAL warning value, though. Oh, I'm sure you're right.

ETA: Also, don't tell anyone, but I have no idea how to put people on queue. I guess I could figure it out. Anybody?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#98 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

ADMIN NOTE:

Maybe, just maybe, we stop the personal asides?

Or maybe someone could just start one thread and populate it with all of the fascinating theoretical discussions that have nothing to do with Laptops v. Tablets, iPhones, Netlix, or Steve Jobs?

And she was.

#99 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,923 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Posted Image

And she was.

#100 g.johnson

g.johnson