40 replies to this topic

#16 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

From a very quick scan of the press, it's the exemption from monopoly laws plus an MLB clause which allows Selig to do just about anything to preserve the sport's integrity. Who knew?

Here's another take on the situation.

link is broken. Bissinger is a fucking blowhard who peaked in 1988.

works for me. Bissinger? this is Weisman.

still broken for me. Thought it was this

How about now?

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#17 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Harmon Killebrew, who began his career as a Washington Senator, is entering hospice care. The kind of guy who did the sport proud. #11 on the all-time HR list. Story here. :(
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#18 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Will a Chinese bank buy the Los Angeles Dodgers?

Just when you thought the soap opera that is the Los Angeles Dodgers couldn't get more ridiculous, reports came Thursday that embattled owner Frank McCourt had received a $1.2-billion offer for the club from L.A. businessman Bill Burke, with some unspecified share of that $1.2 billion to come from "certain state-owned investment institutions of the People's Republic of China," according to the letter from Burke's group to McCourt.

Big Freedia

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,674 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

What a wonderful game six. How many times did the Cardinals come back from multi-run deficits? Three? Four? Five? After awhile I couldn’t think straight any more.

I do know that they were down to their last out, their last *strike*, twice. I know how that feels. I was a Mets season ticket holder in 1986 and I was there for the Buckner game. Over 50,000 people were convinced, beyond any hope of redemption, that the season was over. And then the Mets kept on getting hit after hit and finally won.

I’ve never heard anything like the noise that crowd made at the end of that game. It went way beyond cheering – it was a kind of intense white noise that went on and on. My friend George and I were right there, cheering with them. It was unforgettable. Last night I heard that same noise again and I envied those Cardinal fans.

What a great game.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#20 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,674 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

Seen in Brooklyn last weekend -

Posted Image

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#21 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

What a wonderful game six. How many times did the Cardinals come back from multi-run deficits? Three? Four? Five? After awhile I couldn’t think straight any more.

I do know that they were down to their last out, their last *strike*, twice. I know how that feels. I was a Mets season ticket holder in 1986 and I was there for the Buckner game. Over 50,000 people were convinced, beyond any hope of redemption, that the season was over. And then the Mets kept on getting hit after hit and finally won.

I’ve never heard anything like the noise that crowd made at the end of that game. It went way beyond cheering – it was a kind of intense white noise that went on and on. My friend George and I were right there, cheering with them. It was unforgettable. Last night I heard that same noise again and I envied those Cardinal fans.

What a great game.

Definitely one for the ages.

Will surely be among the ten greatest world series games

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#22 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

And I went and won a pub quiz instead. Shouldn't have missed that one.

#23 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,674 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

This is the type of game that gets shown again. Certainly on ESPN Classic but possibly on the MLB station. It's really worth seeing.

#24 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

Fantastic game. I was sure the Cards were dead after Hamilton's HR in the 10th. So predictable that an ex-Mariner would be the one to serve up the gopher ball to lose it.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#25 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

What a great game.

Definitely one for the ages.

Will surely be among the ten greatest world series games

Fantastic game. I was sure the Cards were dead after Hamilton's HR in the 10th. So predictable that an ex-Mariner would be the one to serve up the gopher ball to lose it.

Yes yes & yes.

That game had absolutely everything. Local boy Freese gets to be a hero twice after "looking like an idiot," as he said afterwards, on that dropped fly? Could you ask for a better ending? I was riveted.

Years ago I had a conversation with an StL friend of mine who was the GM of a minor league team about understanding what keeps people coming back to baseball games. I think anybody who watched last night had to understand that on some level. They'll be talking about this one along side the Carlton Fisk game & all the other historic game 6s in that montage they ran (including the Buckner game) during a break.

Some may remember that I grew up in StL. I've been an intermittent fan over the years, but the Cards' run this season & last night in particular brought it all back. Even in a stadium I've never been to, nothing like your hometown team to tug at the heartstrings.

One day I'll explain where I've been these last few months. Had to pop in & see what you were saying about the game. Good luck to the Cards tonight & cheers to all.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#26 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

One day I'll explain where I've been these last few months. Had to pop in & see what you were saying about the game. Good luck to the Cards tonight & cheers to all.

welcome back!

Big Freedia

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

Good to see you.

Of course, since I am making sure to see at least the second half of tonight's game, it will be a lame, one-sided shut out.

By whom, though, who knows?

#28 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,032 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

welcome back!

Yes indeed.

I've been a little lonely on the Hungarian, Polish, and Czech butcher and smoke house route through Wallington, Garfield, Passaic. Once the snow vanishes, we'll have to take a walk through there.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#29 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

I cannot watch tonight. Last night wore me out, and you can't top that game. I SO want the Rangers to win. And not because I live in Texas. I just like the looks of that team, and Washington's coaching.

I'm going to a supper club instead. Middle Eastern food and lots of cocktails. I'll check in when I get home.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#30 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,674 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Good to see you again Ghostie.