3 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Baristanet has an article on the celebrated grower of chile plants, exotic tomatoes, cilantro, etc. Janie runs an exceptional shop, and it's usually open through early to mid-June.

The farm is in western NJ, west of Flemington, and south of NJ 12. It's an extensive business, mostly mail order. Their clearance sale begins June 1, and goes through June 15, when they close for the year. Last year almost every seedling was $1 after May 15.

They carry 500 pepper varieties, 175 tomato varieties (many heirloom) and 50 varieties of eggplants from more than 80 countries.

Cinco de Mayo garden at Baristanet

GPS users: Try 199 Kingwood-Locktown Rd, Stockton, NJ.
Or, Lat. 40.28 degrees North; Long. 75.01 degrees West.

A special this year is their "Peppers for Peace" T-shirt, with a variety of colors and sizes.

T-shirts

Chileplants.com Main site

I hope to get down there next week and perhaps have lunch at either the Cafe at Rosemont, or the Sergeantsville Inn. Both are nearby.

Edited by Rail Paul, 05 May 2011 - 04:18 PM.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

oh thank you for the reminder!
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

Visitors to the Nursery: Open for the season on Saturday April 14th at 10am. (But, they're closing a little early this year. At the end of May)

It looks like the selection of chile plants is even larger than it has been in prior years. Several new habanero varieties, several new tomato plants, etc

World's largest supply of Chile Plants

Unfortunately, the cafe at Rosemont closed last year. That means lunch at the Inn at Sergeantsville (and the meat market across the road), or swinging west to Frenchtown or the Ship Inn.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

The 2013 season begins shipping in April.

The nursery opens for walk-in guests on April 13.  In the past they've also begun pickups of previously ordered plants on that day.  I don't know if that will be the case this year.

http://www.chileplants.com/

Depending on the business activity, the deep discounts on remainder plants usually begin in mid-May, and the whole place closes up by early June.

...Jonathan Waxman