196 replies to this topic

#181 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

I don't think it's a problem with not being a high scoring game. It's the fact that there was no back and forth in the scoring. Alabama scored, and scored, and scored. LSU did not score at all. So you lose the tension of thinking it's anybody's game and wondering who might win--whether by way of a good defensive play or an offensive score.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#182 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

And, Bama/I should care about that because...

We were therento win, not please tv viewers (although I am sure ESPN and the BCS would share your point of view ;) )

#183 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

And, Bama/I should care about that because...

We were therento win, not please tv viewers (although I am sure ESPN and the BCS would share your point of view ;) )

Whether you were pleased by the outcome--which you obviously were--is a different matter than whether the game was what some of us might call exciting/interesting/compelling. Savor your victory. Bama played very well.

Big Freedia

#184 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,731 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

i don't think the options are only a near/complete lack of ability on offense (alabama/lsu) or no defense (oregon).

and of course, we'll never know how alabama would perform on a regular basis against teams with high-powered offenses as (like most sec powerhouses) they prefer to play cupcakes than any serious out-of-conference teams.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: the hmongtown marketplace food court, st. paul)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#185 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

How about a Baylor Bama matchup. Would that have been fun to watch?

( I'm kind of a football rookie, so no clue.)
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#186 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

What made the game hard for me to watch is that the LSU offense didn't look even slightly dangerous. Defensive struggles can be great to watch, but only when the defenses are making great plays against competent offenses. Watching the first meeting, I thought neither offense looked capapble of mounting a threat, at least one did this time.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#187 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

It's not that defense is boring - who here thinks that Pittsburgh-Baltimore is ever boring? No one - it's that the offenses in the National Championship felt largely impotent rendering the game pretty devoid of tension (even Bama didn't seem like a touchdown threat at any point). I think that's because neither Saban nor Miles are particularly creative offensive coaches. They run simplified pro-systems and rely on superior talent, which they often have because they are tremendous recruiters. This year, both teams had nearly NFL caliber defenses but fairly weak quarterback play. The result was a boring football game.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#188 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

It's not that defense is boring - who here thinks that Pittsburgh-Baltimore is ever boring? No one - it's that the offenses in the National Championship felt largely impotent rendering the game pretty devoid of tension (even Bama didn't seem like a touchdown threat at any point). I think that's because neither Saban nor Miles are particularly creative offensive coaches. They run simplified pro-systems and rely on superior talent, which they often have because they are tremendous recruiters. This year, both teams had nearly NFL caliber defenses but fairly weak quarterback play. The result was a boring football game.

bingo!

Big Freedia

#189 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Contrast the LSU-Alabama game with Baltimore-Houston on now. This is exciting defensive football: big plays, hard hits, and an abundance of tension. Just tremendous and exciting defensive football.

#190 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,033 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#191 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

One of the top recruits in the state of Georgia is named Raekwon.

Also an Auburn running back is the son of Maseo from De La Soul.
Why not mayo?

#192 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,731 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

finally a reason to root for sec teams.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary (current review: the hmongtown marketplace food court, st. paul)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#193 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

This is why the SEC is tops. Their bloggers go out and do forensic examinations of crash sites.

CSI:FOTP Petrino is full of shit
Why not mayo?

#194 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

And that's for Petrino. Imagine what they'd do for Saban.

#195 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

This is why the SEC is tops. Their bloggers go out and do forensic examinations of crash sites.

CSI:FOTP Petrino is full of shit

Gone. Rumor has it he was offered the opportunity to stay...with 'sanctions' to his contract (like Bama's Mike DuBose). Have no idea if that's 'really' true. But, considering how well the Hogs were doing, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor was correct and he thought his progress with the program would save him.