2 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,606 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

At the risk of having ten men with unpronounceable names show up at my home with sticks I'll put this here.

NYT had an article on doing homestays in agriturisimo type settings in Georgia. Here.

Back in 2005 I did three of these homestays, one in Kutaisi, one in Borjomi and a final one at a vineyard in Kahketi. Really some of the best times I've ever had. Amazing food, amazing hospitality. They give you cups with round bottoms for a reason. Really I've been searching for Georgian food to compare ever since I made that trip. If anything the times article undersells how great it was.
Why not mayo?

#2 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Perhaps apropos of nothing...in the 90s, there was a Georgian restaurant in Seattle called Pirosmani. Seemed odd when it opened since it was a fine dining place serving a cuisine from a place most people didn't even know the location of. The food was great and unique. I can well believe visiting Georgia is a great food experience.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#3 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

Perhaps apropos of nothing...in the 90s, there was a Georgian restaurant in Seattle called Pirosmani. Seemed odd when it opened since it was a fine dining place serving a cuisine from a place most people didn't even know the location of. The food was great and unique. I can well believe visiting Georgia is a great food experience.

Laura Dewell (the chef/owner) is still around - has a new non-profit (I'm assuming that, but it might not be so organized) with some interesting participation: Green Plate Special

Wow - a fundraiser tomorrow - good timing.