22 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

I just made a jar of rhubarb-ginger jam, flavored also with lemon zest and nutmeg. Tastes good hot. We'll see what it's like when it cools.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,406 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

I really like it. I admit I especially like it blended with huge amounts of cream and sugar. Eat it just like that or fill a pie with it.

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,423 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

I love rhubarb in any form. Just stewed, in pies, as a savory, etc. Don't get to make it often, given it is along with beets one of two food items my wife just will not touch.
Why not mayo?

#4 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

I just made a jar of rhubarb-ginger jam, flavored also with lemon zest and nutmeg. Tastes good hot. We'll see what it's like when it cools.

Wow! This is even better now that is has cooled, with a complex flavor, and not too sweet.

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

It's really good roasted, sugar optional. Roasted with brown sugar and eaten with yogurt it's fabulous.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

Lippy, would you share the recipe?
ďAnd another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.Ē

#7 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

I inherited my love of rhubarb [without any of the usual strawberry accompaniment] from my father, along with a delight in lemon meringue pie.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#8 Eatmywords

Eatmywords

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Mine too on the beets. (And broccoli, sour cream, balsamic, mushrooms, etc. Donít get me started)

Iíve made rhubarb chutney that paired well with roast pork and turkey. Love the tartness.

#9 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Lippy, would you share the recipe?

No recipe. I chopped the rhubarb into half-inch pieces, minced some fresh ginger, (about a tablespoon) weighed them together(about 6 oz.) and put them in the pan. I added an equal amount of sugar, by weight and a little water to get the jam started, knowing that it would boil off. I grated in the zest of one lemon and a few scrapes of nutmeg and let it boil until it tested for jam. (I dipped a metal spoon in the pot and watched the drops off the edge, stopped cooking when two drops formed and fell.) The jam needed to boil only a few minutes; there must be a lot of pectin in rhubarb.

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:49 AM

I'm about to make some rhubarb jam and am toying with the idea of infusing it with lavender. Maybe ginger and lavender.

#11 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:17 AM

I'm about to make some rhubarb jam and am toying with the idea of infusing it with lavender. Maybe ginger and lavender.

Sounds good, GG.

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,406 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:04 AM

The cheese plate at Lincoln tonight came with a terrific, deeply colored, intense rhubarb reduction. (Not only that, there was honey and other stuff.) I liked it so much, but I wouldn't let in anywhere near cheese. Would have been good on top of a salty gelato.

"Hello. They call me Rhubarb. I am here to kill your cheese and destroy your wine. Thank you."

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:45 AM

Celery on acid.
I never said that

#14 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

We like it enough to have planted some two years ago. First harvest was this year and two more stalks are growing. Did you know 7% of the commercially grown rhubarb in the US is 100 acres in Sumner, WA? The farmer switched from strawberries to the rosy red stalks.

Oh, oven roasted with some orange juice and a little sugar, spoon over yogurt or ice cream. Or eat right out of the pan.

#15 beans

beans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Yum to all of this. I've had fun with it with apples (crisps sorts of baking) and cocktails. :wub:

We all know people who can be as gratuitously insulting about soup as they can about the Senate. - g.johnson