20 replies to this topic

#16 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

Thanks! Paul really wants to try this so I'll let you know how it works.

Me too, so I just went out and bought Saran Wrap Premium. And because I bought it, I shouldn't have another corked bottle to test it for years! :)

So... I had some really nice friends over for dinner on Saturday. We started with a few wines and then I opened a magnum of 2000 Le Petit Cheval Blanc. Frickin' corked.

After they left I lined a bain marie with the plastic and poured the wine in it. It sat for two days until the TCA mostly disappeared. I'm having a couple glasses of it tonight. While the initial offensive TCA is gone, I have had a hiccup tonight and I know the TCA is definitely still present.

The problem with this plastic-wrap solution lies in the fact that the original aromatics, or the aromatics readily apparent in other bottles of the same vintage and are to be expected in this bottle, are not recovered. The overall impression of a "recovered" wine after going through the process is this: the wine proceeds to be about the same level as a two-buck chuck. It doesn't matter how much the original price was; the TCA might very well be gone, but it will never be more than just a skeleton of its original self.

It becomes a one-dimensional, cheap and easy wine.

Original price: $220.

Arg.

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,680 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:18 AM

OTOH, you get to tell people you've drank a 2000 Petit Cheval Blanc.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

I can't remember the last time I had a corked wine. I think it was a Pahlmeyer red years ago from my own cellar and the last time I had a bottle at a restaurant was an older Rioja (I suspect it was the restaurant's storage)

I have, however, been getting lots of oxidized whites lately. Half a case of Kongsgaard was kicked out of my cellar and I even got a bottle of the same vintage while dining out - same problem. A lot of my white burgs are going downhill fast it seems as well.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#19 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

So... I had some really nice friends over for dinner on Saturday.

Drink!

Seriously, it was heart breaker about the wine. I'm sorry to know the Saran Wrap trick doesn't work.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#20 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

I recently purchased two bottles of a wine I have had before and loved, and it was purchased from the same merchant as previously. $33 a bottle so not cheap but not terribly pricey either. A bottle was opened on Saturday and the moment I saw/smelled the cork I knew the wine would be corked. Yup. I am a regular at the wine merchant where it was purchased, everyone working there knows me by name. Would it be terribly crass of me to return the wine? Had I ordered it in a restaurant I would have sent it back.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#21 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I recently purchased two bottles of a wine I have had before and loved, and it was purchased from the same merchant as previously. $33 a bottle so not cheap but not terribly pricey either. A bottle was opened on Saturday and the moment I saw/smelled the cork I knew the wine would be corked. Yup. I am a regular at the wine merchant where it was purchased, everyone working there knows me by name. Would it be terribly crass of me to return the wine? Had I ordered it in a restaurant I would have sent it back.

I would, the store will get credit for it and it's a good opportunity to see how they value your business.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton