2 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

So the rewards tickets are booked - we're going to Asia over the New Year. We arrive in Hong Kong on the 28th and Depart on the 16th. We can get connecting flights to anywhere Cathay Pacific flies. Right now we're booked to go to HCMC on 1st and depart from Bangkok on the 16th - but that is all easily changeable. The hard tickets to get were the JFK-HKG seats - and that's take care of.

I've only been to Singapore in this part of the world so its all new to me.

1)Is HK worth the few days I have allocated to it? Is it that much more interesting than Singapore? Granted the food is great, but accomdation ssems to be quite expensive and our time in this part of the world is pretty limited given what we want to see. I'm sort of mixed. My wife just wants to go straight through to SE Asia. Anyone done NYE there? Shit show?

So we've got basically 15 days in SEAsia - Should we just limit it to Thailand and Laos? Vietnam? Something totally different?

Must have 2-3 days on a beach somewhere as well - any suggestions?

For some reason I keep thinking we should spend more time in Vietnam - but maybe I'm an idiot.

Angkor? Crazy touristy and miserable or totally worth the experience?
Luang Prabang? Worth the schlep?
Just Thailand?
Indonesia?
Malaysia?

At this point my only issue is the change fee from HKG of 140 bucks.

(BTW if you collect BA or AA Cathay Pacific's redemption rate to HKG is 1/3rd BA's to Asia and they only charge you landing taxes as opposed to BA's insane fuel surcharges . Supposedly LAN Chile is similarly a much better deal.)
Why not mayo?

#2 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Three weeks isn't a lot of time if you're traveling. Why not just HK and Southern China? If you go to Thailand, I'd suggest spending as little time in Bangkok as possible and choosing either the South for beaches or the North for hills, but not both. And as great as the beaches are in the South, there are beaches all over the world, so what's the point? (From what I've heard, Malaysia doesn't add much to a trip to Southern Thailand.) I'd spend time in North and NE Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

#3 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

What's your primary purpose? Eating? Eating and sightseeing? Just sightseeing? Relaxing? Trekking?

I don't find HK to be that interesting. I'd do at least a night and long day, though, just for a good dim sum fix.

Then I'd go to Malaysia and eat. Cheaper and better than in Singapore, I think. But you'd have to have a car or a car and driver to make it worthwhile.

I might go to Vietnam and Laos--Vietnam for the food, Laos just because I'd like to see it.

If you just want to relax, Bali is great. I love Ubud--no beaches, but a great place if you just want to mellow out and if you're interested in arts and crafts.

I'd consider Cambodia for Angkor Wat, but the food isn't that interesting there, so I'd limit my stay to just long enough to see the monuments (three days max), and maybe hit Phnom Penh to see the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. (that's pretty much exactly what I did there, although I didn't make it out to the Killing Fields. If you're not planning on going to that area again, I'd definitely go to Angkor. It's pretty spectacular.

I don't know that I'd spend that much time in Thailand, but when I go there it's for family stuff, so my experiences there are different. I'm not one to lie on beaches, either, so that colours my opinion a little.

But Malaysia is one of the few countries I'd like to revisit and spend much more time in. Mostly for the food.