3 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

Bivio is a new restaurant on Paterson Avenue in Little Falls, just east of the fork in the road ("bivio") in the center of town. Its focus on on making superb pizza, and it largely succeeds based on our first look.

The specialty is pizza, but not the thin crispy crust found in places like A'Pizz in Montclair, or Star Tavern in Orange. And, not the thin, flexible crust with a layer of grease found in ten thousand slice shops and on every boardwalk. Rather, it's a slightly thicker pizza, with a distinct bread taste and texture, albeit with a patchy charred crust.

Thin smear of sweet tomato sauce, with a generous pass of garlic, oregano, pepper, a few dabs of cheese (a soft mozz), and a few leaves of whole basil for me. Dee had the eggplant pizza, a special, which was otherwise similar.

90 seconds, which I timed, and the pizza master had it out. Their standard pizza is about ten inches, and costs $11 to $13. Sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc as well as olives.

The pizza is folded and stretched at a work station in the dining room. The oven is a tiled dome, probably four feet in diameter, with a working wood fire toward the back, on a bed of large tiles. The interior of the dome is lined with brick. The maker turned, moved, the pizza around the interior, and relocated wood, ashes, etc to keep the floor hot.

Good pizza, nicely crisp, no leaking. One uncommon practice is the pizza is served un-sliced, individually plated, although a small knife is provided for cutting. I'll bring my wheel cutter next time.

Very attentive staff, three FOH plus a manager-owner, and a pizza maker plus a sous-chef / apprentice pizza maker. First time I've ever noticed a female pizza maker, she's clearly learning from an expert.

BYO, salads and pizza are the menu choices, tiramisu is the dessert. I suspect they may add to the menu as the restaurant gains an equilibrium. I'm sure they will be very successful.

Bivio Pizza in Little Falls

Edited by Rail Paul, 30 June 2011 - 12:52 AM.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 Anónimo

Anónimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

What? No pepperoni? No sausage? Will this work successfully? <_<
Buen provecho,
Anónimo

Tzintzuntzan, Michoacán, México

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

What? No pepperoni? No sausage? Will this work successfully? <_<

They had a sausage pizza on the specials list. Somebody at a nearby table ordered it, and it looked pretty good.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:03 PM

Closing on November 7 per Bergen Record

Nice place, great food, terrible location for pick up. No place to park. 

Niccolò Machiavelli