10 replies to this topic

#1 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

So, what're the 'best' places to eat in Vancouver these days? Sushi, seafood and fine dining. Either downtown or to the west near the airport/ Marine Drive area. All suggestions appreciated.

#2 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

Far too open ended for Vancouver these days. What sort of food are you looking for? What's your price range? Will you have a vehicle? Are you wanting to stay downtown, or do you want to venture into other areas of the city? Do you want chinese food in Richmond? Where will you be staying? How long are you here? etc....

As far as dining goes in Vancouver, there are so many different choices, especially if you are wanting to delve into asian cuisines (Japanese, Chinese, and Indian are all fantastic). We have some of the best chinese restaurants in the world, but it depends on what you are looking for. Our fine dining is good, but the quality for the price is an absolute rip off compared to other fine dining experiences elsewhere in the world...but again, if you want to venture to Richmond, you will find a fabulous restaurant called the Apron.

#3 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

Wish that I could match the advice you gave me for Atlanta. Toronto and Montreal are more my area of expertise. FWIW, Tojo (high end sushi) and Vij (high end Indian) get by far the most positive press in the Canadian media, especially post-Lumiere.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,435 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

I've also heard very good things about Vij.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Far too open ended for Vancouver these days. What sort of food are you looking for? What's your price range? Will you have a vehicle? Are you wanting to stay downtown, or do you want to venture into other areas of the city? Do you want chinese food in Richmond? Where will you be staying? How long are you here? etc....

As far as dining goes in Vancouver, there are so many different choices, especially if you are wanting to delve into asian cuisines (Japanese, Chinese, and Indian are all fantastic). We have some of the best chinese restaurants in the world, but it depends on what you are looking for. Our fine dining is good, but the quality for the price is an absolute rip off compared to other fine dining experiences elsewhere in the world...but again, if you want to venture to Richmond, you will find a fabulous restaurant called the Apron.

What sort of food are you looking for? 1. Sushi 2. restaurant that specializes in good seafood--casual or fine dining 3. upper end fine dining experience-not an Asian cuisine.

What's your price range? Price not an object. Expense account.

Will you have a vehicle? Yes. If a restaurant is worth a drive somewhere, not a problem.

Are you wanting to stay downtown, or do you want to venture into other areas of the city? Staying in two different areas over the course of the visit: Downtown and near Marine Drive/airport.

Do you want chinese food in Richmond? No Chinese. People I will be hosting do not like it.

Thanks Ori and Adrian. I have done both Tojo and Vij on previous visits. But, it's been awhile. Glad to know they are still good. I enjoyed Tojo, so, I think that may fill the sushi requirement, if I can get a reservation at a time that works. The last time I was in Vancouver, David Hawksworth still had Oeust (before it changed to West). Had a couple of excellent meals there. I'm tempted to try Hawksworth. But, it will have only been open a very short period of time. Definitely not meeting my 'must be open at least 1 month' rule. Pepprye, is The Apron in the Westin?

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,340 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

We did not get to Blue Water on our 2009 trip, but heard many good comments about it. It's in the Yaletown area, been there for years.

Blue Water Cafe

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#7 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

We did not get to Blue Water on our 2009 trip, but heard many good comments about it. It's in the Yaletown area, been there for years.

Blue Water Cafe

Thanks, RP. That looks like it could fill the 'seafood dinner' slot quite nicely.

#8 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Bluewater is still a fantastic restaurant and has been for many years.

The Apron is indeed in the Westin Wall Centre near the airport and the food is phenomenal. If you go, order one of the tasting menus (7 or 9 course is worth every penny).

For sushi, I would suggest Zest. I personally think Tojo's is overrated for what it is. There are so many fabulous sushi places in Vancouver now, that Tojo's really isn't filling a niche anymore and now it's just overpriced. Zest offers beautiful, clean sushi in a very small room. They also make their own soy sauce. If you are looking for Japanese food that is a little bit different, try Shu Raku. It's higher end, but still casual Izakaya style food with a vast array of Sake, including a locally brewed Sake.

Hawksworth is good according to some friends that have been, but obviously, there are still some kinks to work out. I'm actually really wanting to go there for a brunch one day, I think the menu looks fantastic and I have always loved David's food.

If you are here in time, the current Chef at West is brilliant, but he will be leaving his post soon. A visit was suggested by my food writing friend.

#9 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

peppyre...I'm also doing some planning for a Vancovuer visit this summer. What are your thoughts on Bao Bei, L'Abbatoir and Oyster?
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#10 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

This list sounds like a reasonable one, so hopefully worth linking (link isn't happening?):

Sun's list August 2011:

Bao Bei
C Restaurant
Cafe Regalade
Cibo
Cioppino's
Ensemble
Hawksworth
Jade Seafood
Kirin
Maenam
Market by Jean George
Pear tree
La Regalade
Sun Sui Wah
Tojo's
Vij's
West

Slanted towards the well established - but a nice paragraph on each. Sorry about the link failure.

#11 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Will be at YVR for a short-ish stopover--arriving around 7:30 then leaving at noon, so probably have 3 hours of free time.

is it worth going outside the airport for food? I'll be on the way to Hong Kong, so I don't really want dim sum (I know--horrors being near Richmond and not going for dim sum!).

Any good breakfast places near YVR along the Skytrain? Or if not, what is good inside the airport? I think I ate at the hotel at the airport (Delta?) once, and it was fine albeit not a good value. and I had a burger at the YVR outpost of some burger place that was all the rage on eG way back when (way back when eG had a thriving west coast community), but I thought i kind of sucked.

I could do with just having A&W onion rings and a root beer, but something a little more substantial would be good, too.