4 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:38 AM

Well, yes, of course it's good: it's got 10% butterfat. Paul loved the taste I made him eat, but he's scared to death of the fat. :rolleyes:

Have not tried cooking with it, but for just eating, it's everything sour cream used to be: thick, rich, tart, wonderful. It's all I can do not to finish the whole quart at one time.

$4.99/quart (after the store discount of $.50) in the Pathmark.I'll probably never see it there again. But oh man, am I enjoying it now!

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:33 AM

This is GREAT STUFF Suze! Discovered it this spring and have made piles of Raita and dolloped it on fruit in the morning ever since. Same price here in PWM
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"
- Rachael Ray in a potentially lucrative new gig

Portland Food Map.com

#3 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

Suzanne, is it better than Fage Total Greek? I'm going to my local My Organic Market today and I'll pick some up if I see it.

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

Yes, I think it is better than ANYTHING. :wub: Well, anything dairy and savory that isn't cheese. :P

Oddly enough, I got it at the closest thing to a mega everyday supermarket I know below 14th Street (the Pathmark on Cherry Street and the East River), not in some fancy-schmancy gourmetty store. Which is not to say that those places might not carry it; if they carry Cabot products, they might.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

Well, yes, of course it's good: it's got 10% butterfat. Paul loved the taste I made him eat, but he's scared to death of the fat. :rolleyes:

You can make scones with it, without any butter whatsoever.

Just Greek yogurt, flour, sparkling water.

If that doesn't convince HWOE, I don't know what will. :P